FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:53 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Fraud on 2 Chase Cards - Fluke, or is someting bigger going on

So, wife found a couple of bogus charges on her UA Select Card in September - maybe the last week or so of Sept. Can't remember exactly, was with a mobile phone provider (Boost or similar) for ~$50, and First Energy for ~$130. Called and Chase took care of it, of course. Sent her a new card (CPC - so they UPS'd it - it was there in one day, might have been 2). All good now.

Now, last week, paid off her CSR card, in order to cancel. Except then there was a bogus charge on there too - this time, they were trying to go under the radar - this was a $2.00 charge for AT&T support. They took off the charge and had actually already issued her a new # - apparently they had already declined a second attempted fraudulent charge. And they allowed her to close it, even with whatever investigation is likely happening on the backend. Of course, they would have sent her a new card, etc. if she had wanted to keep it.

Obviously, fraud is on the rise these days, but found it curious she had both of her Chase cards used fraudulently within a month of each other. Also, as far as I know, she hasn't had this happen ever in the past 10 years or so. Question is, is it likely a fluke that these both occurred basically within a couple of weeks of each other, or is there potentially something bigger going on here? I have 4 chase cards myself, and haven't had any recent issues (though have once, in the past, I believe). I thought about the potential to be related to the Equifax issue, however, thought this wouldn't happen so quickly, and as I understand, only cards belonging to those using Equifax dispute resolution were affected (plus, she didn't get a letter), so presumably, she shouldn't have been affected by that.

Any thoughts out there?