FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ah, Sheraton in the US
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:20 pm
s0ssos

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Fortunately SPG properties are not the same as a barrel of apples. One does not spoil them all. Marketing material will show off the best (maybe non-existent) features. If you don't go beyond what they put on their homepage and look at review sites (i.e. FT, Trip Advisor, Yelp, etc.), you can not be sure of what you will find.

If you'll name the property that you visited, others here may be able to tell you if you just caught them at a bad time or if what you saw was normal. I'm getting that drilled into me everyday here. It's been over a month after Irma swept past Ft Lauderdale but there's still plenty of cleanup to be done both for businesses and homes. It's easy to ding someone for not being top notch, but maybe just being open is miracle?
Well, I've stayed at multiple Sheratons prior, and it is one of those properties Starwood seems to just have forgotten. Though every now and then one seems to be re-touched.
It is the Sheraton Bloomington.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
So the interior looks great. Glad to hear it. Score 1 for this Sheraton.

For the record, the St Regis Princeville is a drab exterior, unable to be changed due to local restrictions. But the interiors are wonderful--also Instagram worthy. No one draws a line from that one St Regis to declare that all suck, however.

An oversold Sheraton.

Not surprisingly, there was a line. Go figure. I'm sure that's never happened at vastly superior Marriotts and Hiltons and InterContinentals when they are oversold. Or even not oversold. Oops, yeah it has happened, even to me.

Not surprisingly, the lounge was crowded and over-used. Go figure. I'm sure that's never happened at vastly superior Marriotts and Hiltons and InterContinentals when they are busy or oversold. Oops, yeah, it has happened the world over. Not to me, because I avoid lounges anyway.

No one should be surprised. This isn't about a Sheraton. It's about almost any over-sold hotel. I'd love to watch our esteemed OP see how long the check in line can be and how easy it can be to get a pool chair or find a pool attendant at the sold out FS Hualalai over the holidays. Same story.

I think confirmation bias comes to mind after a single stay at an oversold Sheraton and expecting a St Regis--and judging all Sheratons by the one. Not impressive analysis, I'm afraid.

I also find it entertaining that the very nice interior design got dismissed pretty quickly and somehow then turned into a dump.

There are many poor Sheratons in the USA--and Sheraton/Starwood/Marriott has been working pretty well on pushing those to refurbish, renovate, upgrade facilities, increase staff training, and/or leave the brand.

There also are many excellent Sheratons in the USA where I've stayed. The Hartford South. University City Philly. Downtown Philly ain't so bad, even if it's not my favorite. Charlotte Airport. Providence Airport. Commander Cambridge. Boston. TriBeCa NYC. Portsmouth New Hanpshire. WildPass Arizona. Phoenix Grand. Sacramento Grand. Even Times Square NYC, even if it isn't my cup of tea. Chicago Grand. Nashville Grand. Atlanta Midtown. Los Angeles Grand. Etc, etc.

Our OP needs perspective.
Sacramento Grand looks nice but if you go into a room they are pretty old and shabby (stayed in a suite). In Sacramento the Hyatt has the nicest suites, though if you are into boutique The Citizen (Autograph) is good as well.

In terms of the lounge, it wasn't crowded nor were there many people. There was simply no lounge attendant. So if you start with a plateful of little cakes, and everybody takes 1 or 2, you will soon run out. When I was there I only saw 5 other people in the lounge. Given it has seating for 20 or more I wouldn't say it was crowded.

The thing that bothered me was the service, or lack thereof. Like they didn't care. Sort of like a cheap motel.