FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for some comfortable earplugs?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:11 pm
sanuliarem

I am super particular about earplug and these are my favorite:

https://www.hearos.com/collections/s...tection-series

There is a story behind these though. They made them the same way for at least a decade and then about 1.5 years ago switched to a different formula, perhaps another contract manufacturer.

They are now back to their "original" formula, which is not as good as the previous ones, but about 90% there. The way to tell the difference between the new originals/the "original originals" vs. the inferior ones is to pinch one tightly and it should take at least 5 seconds to start regaining the original shape if it's a good one. You can buy them on Amazon, Walgreens, and some other locations.

When the inferior new style came out (before they went back to the original formula), I even wrote the company and got a response that I was not the only one and that others were upset too. If you take a look at reviews on Amazon, Walgreens, and CVS at the time a bunch of people who rely on them nightly were quite upset. I would stop every time I saw a Walgreens and buy all that I could of the originals while they lasted on the rare occasion I could find some.

Fortunately the updated "originals" work well enough for me. One tip that I recommend though if you wake up in the middle of the night with ear pain from any foam ear plug is to take a really wet Q-Tip and gently moisten the inside of your ears then put the plugs back in. This tends to get me through the rest of the night.

Some cannot sleep with foam ear plugs at all and prefer wax or silicone which go in the outer ear, but the NRR is not usually as good, typically topping out at around 25dB while the best foam plugs can extend to about 33dB.

If the above don't work, you can try this sample pack, which I ordered while the Hearos were hard to find:

http://www.earplugstore.com/unfoamtrialp1.html

Believe it or not though, I couldn't find any in there that worked well for me, so am very thankful that the Hearos are back to useable condition. They say that each ear canal is like a fingerprint.

If you're really picky (I know that I am), I've heard that there are companies which will cast custom ear plugs for you, but I haven't researched this route.

Some other general sleep accessories I recommend is the Tempurpedic sleep mask, an organge LED for walking to a hotel bathroom at night, and orange tinted glasses like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Uvex-Blocking...+sleep+glasses

for if you're going to use a phone or computer within an hour before bed. Screen settings like Night Shift and flux are also very helpful. I use them in conjunction with the glasses.

This is probably a lot more detail than you were seeking, but I hope it is helpful to you! If you have any questions, feel free to ask as I have put years of thoughts, customization, and research into better sleep, as a periodic insomniac.