FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Lufthansa the most overrated airline out there?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:53 am
bertheike

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Grog
I can add my two cents in comparing LH economy to WOW Air economy.

Referencing the OP's main points, WOW Air provides an excellent example of Lufthansa's overrated economy experience.

A recent booking from BWI to FRA.

Lufthansa's lowest eco fare was 3x (yes, triple!) the "eco plus" fare of WOW air. And no, there were no extra fees for luggage: this WOW tariff (WOW Plus) included 3 bags (one checked bag, one carry-on--of 26 pounds!), and one personal item) and seat reservation.

So, despite having SEN status, we booked WOW Air to see what they'll all about.

First, beautiful new and very clean A321. And roomy in the seat, offering 31"+ seat pitch. On their A321, it's the exact same seat frame used by LH.

Without paying more (and obviously independent of freq flyer status), we received their super-extra-legroom seats (similar to LH's A340-600 row 25A/C/H/K)

Full power outlets (110v/220v) at every eco seat.

The meal offerings' looks and aromas were every bit as good as LH's aluminum-foil wrapped 'delicacies'. (We instead took our own salads and turkey wraps, so I didn't get to actually try their food.)

There's nothing free on board, not even water. But at a savings of over 1000 Euros one-way, this SEN can either buy on-board or fill my own 1.5 liter bottle or take along some from the gift shop.

Loaner iPads available for $25 rent if desired.

Landed at FRA and parked at an actual gate with a jetway! None of the LH nonsense of remote stand parking and then a standing bus ride of what seems like an hour to get to the terminal building.

The only perceived negative was the short stopover at Reykjavik (I'd like it to either be much longer!).

Sorry, Lufthansa. WOW Air really did 'wow' this SEN in economy for its comfort and simplicity.

Yes, LH can do IRROPS. Yes, WOW has a lack of routes. Yes, LH has lounges. But lounges, on-board service, and low economy mileage just aren't worth an extra 1000 Euros per flight. Of course, if someone's flying using someone else's money, most of those somebodies will spend 1000 Euros more on things that are really only worth, say, 150 Euros. And still end up at a remote stand after spending more.

OP: I understand your point of view!
That's the best post on this Thread. ^