FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QFF cancelled with no notice [points expiry]
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:03 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Platy
But that's the question!

I've been looking over the T&Cs kindly referenced by the links in Dave Noble's post above.

I am not sure (and it isn't clearly stated) that a transfer of points counts as "earn". In fact it may not.
The terms state

Originally Posted by T&C
9.2.2 Effective until 15 March 2017, all Points held in a Qantas Frequent Flyer account of a non-Active Member will expire at midnight Sydney, Australia time at the end of the 18th consecutive month for which the Member has not earned Points or Status Credits or redeemed Points (excluding any transfer of Points to or from an Eligible Family Member and excluding any transfer of Points from Qantas Business Rewards).
It seems clearly stated that all points earning es eligible for date reset other than
[a] transfer of points to a family member
[b] transfer of points from a family member
[c] transfer of Points from Qantas Business Rewards

If the person earned points from those, the clock would have been due to be reset. If the points transfer was from another source than one of those, then Qantas made an error. If Qantas made no error, then it would logically follow that the activity came from one of those 3 items

Originally Posted by Platy
I can't find reference specifically to the instance of a credit card transfer such as one from Amex MR. Note that transfer from business rewards and family members do not contribute to earn activity.
That it is not in the explicit list of exceptions would cover it

As far as notification goes, the T&Cs indicate that since 16 March, QF does inform members by the following methods

Originally Posted by T&C
(a) Online activity statements display a warning to the Member;
(b) Members who continue to receive paper activity statements, will receive an activity statement which includes a notification that Points are about to expire; and
(c) Members who have opted to receive communications online and via email, will receive a notification within their monthly electronic newsletter.
Unless this happened to OP before March 16 , then notification would made available to the OP