Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QFF cancelled with no notice [points expiry]

Old Oct 12, 17, 3:33 am
Original Poster

My husband and I just realised our QFF points have expired, however I noticed just after a few months (expired 30/06/17) and called them and they offered the '2500 points redemption program', although in speaking with them, I remembered we flew Jetstar in March and used our QFF members card which clearly did not register (how many times has this happened if you don't check, which we shouldn't have to). My points should now be reinstated as I luckily located the flight number (but not the point).

After my husband checked his statement, his has expired 31/10/16 and after reading alot of blogs, their 'so called' emails to inform the points were expiring was in the 'fine print' and receiving numerous emails in a day, who reads the fine print.

My husband had 130,000 points have now expired and they will NOT allow him to join the 'program' to reinstate the points.

I understand that the info is in the T & C's, but who reads all that rubbish and maybe we should check the statements but with all the spam that you get, the heading should mention 'points expiry'.....or like the TAB, which clearly states, current points, expiring points.

Reading other blogs, a letter in the post CLEARLY explaining this would be nice or a CLEAR email in the SUBJECT LINE would be customer service. I guess they want it this way.

Has anyone had any luck at all getting their points back after fighting the ACCC or other programs.

Miss Jane
Old Oct 12, 17, 3:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
You'll get no traction with Asia Miles. But they're not an Australian-domiciled program and our Consumer Council is the ACCC diluted with 10 parts water.
Old Oct 12, 17, 4:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kylie Clark View Post

After my husband checked his statement, his has expired 31/10/16 and after reading alot of blogs, their 'so called' emails to inform the points were expiring was in the 'fine print' and receiving numerous emails in a day, who reads the fine print.
I guess that anyone that doesn't want to risk losing 130,000 points would read the terms of the programme

The mileage expiration is not hidden in fine print anyway, but quite clearly stated on the site
Old Oct 12, 17, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.. I remembered we flew Jetstar in March and used our QFF members card which clearly did not register (how many times has this happened if you don't check, which we shouldn't have to)....
With Jetstar Australia you have to buy a bundle to get QF points. The JQ web site asks for your QF freq flyer number when booking. The JQ boarding pass SSR text will have "QFFP". When I have flown JQ I have always received QF points automatically, where applicable.

If you have a valid claim for QF points from a JQ flight you can retro claim those, if in the allowable time period.
Old Oct 12, 17, 5:27 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I guess that anyone that doesn't want to risk losing 130,000 points would read the terms of the programme

The mileage expiration is not hidden in fine print anyway, but quite clearly stated on the site
The condition is indeed. Very much member beware.

However, I have seen far better notifications from other airlines, with reminders that my points will be expiring on a certain date, with advertisements of various options to keep your account active ... Usually sent a couple of months in advance of expiry. Do Qantas send such emails when it gets close to the date, or is it just hidden in the bottom of the monthly newsletter?
Old Oct 12, 17, 6:34 am

Programs: QF Gold (LTS) and VA Gold
In case it is of use to anyone looking to keep their accounts active - Qantas Assure is currently has a 30 day free trial for their points for being active program (basically points for walking). Simply download the app and link it to your phone's heath tracker or fitbit (or similar) and away you go.

You can set your own daily step target so its easy to set it really low to ensure you will hit the target and earn a couple of points. No purchase or personal information (beyond QF details) required. Sure a little bit fiddly - but no more than 5 or 6 minutes of playing around on your phone.
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:06 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
I think Qantas FF do a better job than most in informing all their members that points expire after 18 months of inactivity. It's not hidden anywhere.

Furthermore, there are many Jetstar fares that aren't eligible for QFF points/status credits, and it is often difficult to figure out which flights are eligible for points and status credits.
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:38 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Complaining that someone else has an obligation to tell you how to abide by simple rules is a poor argument in the first place. It is worse to then use the argument that multiple emails are "fine print" because one prefers 24 point to 8 point font.

The only logical conclusion here is that businesses create more problems by sending these notices than they solve. Best not to warn at all. Put it in the t&c, program the software to delete credit balances after the expiration date and be done with it.
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:47 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HB7 View Post
I think Qantas FF do a better job than most in informing all their members that points expire after 18 months of inactivity. It's not hidden anywhere.
I can sign into my Qantas account, and I have to work out when the points expire. I can't really find it anywhere (maybe it's there, but not so easy to find). I sign into my AA or UA accounts, and right beneath or beside the points balance is the expiry date.
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:19 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
The condition is indeed. Very much member beware.

However, I have seen far better notifications from other airlines, with reminders that my points will be expiring on a certain date, with advertisements of various options to keep your account active ... Usually sent a couple of months in advance of expiry. Do Qantas send such emails when it gets close to the date, or is it just hidden in the bottom of the monthly newsletter?
Until recently, the expiration notice has been in the monthly statement, as they state they will do in the T&Cs.

However, in the last month or so, they seem to have started sending specific emails on the matter (given the uptick in my points are about to expire messages on social media, in place of the my points expired last month messages).

None of this helps people that lost them further back. Most people do the challenge to get them back. Buy some wine, that sort of thing..
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:56 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Just as easy to write a software program to send out warning emails before points expire as it is writing a program to delete credit balances after expiration date.

Which reminds me. Mums QFF points are expiring end of October. Time to move them to my wife's account.
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I can sign into my Qantas account, and I have to work out when the points expire. I can't really find it anywhere (maybe it's there, but not so easy to find).
A message appears when your points are closer to expiry, but when the expiry date is further away the message disappears.

I got an email at the end of May about the forthcoming expiry of my points. No "small print" involved - the email was clear, accurate and to the point.
I understand that the info is in the T & C's, but who reads all that rubbish and maybe we should check the statements ...
If you cannot be bothered to read the "rubbish", you cannot be bothered to check the statements, you cannot be bothered to keep track of the expiry date and you expect to have your hand held and to be spoon-fed everything, then maybe you aren't interested enough in Qantas or in the scheme for Qantas to care very much about your case.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 19 at 10:12 am
Old Oct 12, 17, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
If you cannot be bothered to read the "rubbish", you cannot be bothered to check the statements, you cannot be bothered to keep track of the expiry date and you expect to have your hand held and to be spoon-fed everything, then maybe you aren't interested enough in Qantas or in the scheme for Qantas to care very much about your case.
+1

The airline should take responsibility to inform their customers with a notification and make the expiry tally easily accessible online to the individual member (if they are now doing this, then well and good).That's not "spoon feeding", rather good business practice, assuming the airline has any actual commitment to customer loyalty and basic levels of transparency in dealing with customers (which, incidentally is required by its own ethics guidelines).

Well QF cared enough (not) about a friend's case that they scooped up all of his points without notice, which included around 100,000 pts transferred from Amex a few weeks before QF decided to clean him out.

He lost the points transferred from the credit card...QF wouldn't budge, didn't offer a reinstatement challenge of any kind.

He "cared" enough about QF after that to decide never to given any business to QF every again.

QF scored the cash for selling those points to Amex, but lost a customer and created an example shared with many of his well heeled colleagues and mates (AP executive level) most of whom have themselves also ditched QF for various poor service reasons.

If you start from a position of zero expectation and zero trust with QF loyalty you will be fine, of course...
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Platy View Post

The airline should take responsibility to inform their customers with a notification and make the expiry tally easily accessible online to the individual member
The OP stated that she considered the T&Cs as "rubbish" and didn't read them
QF, it seems , from the OP, does put the information on statements, but the OP didn't read them

At what point are people expected to take responsibility for their own actions or inaction?
Blackcloud, HB7 and eminere like this.
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Let me put this in another way.

If OP attempts to seek redress from a consumer protection agency, that consumer protection agency must be able to prove what the OP encountered was either unfair and deceptive, or illegal.

The problem is there is nothing unfair and deceptive. At the minimum, the expiration clause is not a recent addition. Even it is, QF should have given notices to all members regarding the changes.

So OP is pretty much at the mercy of QF.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: