FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle
View Single Post
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:24 pm
BenA

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Recently I've enjoyed a few bottles of Paxis red blend. It sells for under $10 at Costco and Cost Plus World Market. It has a medium body and a very slightly sweet taste that helps it go well with a variety of food. It reminds me of one of my previous bargain-bottle faves from years ago, the Spanish garnacha Las Rocas that doubled in price after it became popular. Very approachable choice for people who are not wine aficionados.
Agreed - we keep several bottles of this on hand as our “homeowners association meeting”, “non-wine aficionado friends” and “maybe we only plan to drink half a bottle tonight” wine. Great quality for the price, a trait I find common to Portuguese wine.

If you step up a dollar or two, but still well under the limit in this thread, I also enjoy Casa Santos Lima “Colossal” Reserva, another Portuguese red Costco sells for under $10 a bottle. I like it a bit better than Paxis and find it to have a little more complexity and interest. My only real complaint is that the label graphic design is a little tacky.