FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:09 pm
DeltaFlyingProf

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
@rossmacd example above nets 53332 for 1200 TP's on BA if you used a GUF on the BA legs that could be increased by another 180 TP's to 1380 which is less than £1 / TP
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Note: this one is only 1,100 TPs.

The route I put above could only be GUF'd on the LHR-LAS sector, as the return TATL is operated by AA (not GUF'able), therefore only only additional 70 TPs possible (140 --> 210 for the LHR-LAS), making a total of 1,170 TPs. I'm not sure I would waste a GUF on only a single sector, in my opinion, but others may wish to do so.

You could, of course, take a BA operated service back to LHR that could be GUF'd, giving an additional 70 TPs on top, but a different routing would have to be used.
Two problems with your thinking:
  1. You probably are thinking of doing GUF via a TA. Unfortunetly, as soon as you have another carrier in the ticket, GUFs cannot be applied anyway. Some may have gotten lucky but the rules say no dice.
  2. The TA instructions for GUF are designed so that you are supposed to get TPs and Avios for what you paid, not what you fly.
So no, you should not be able to get more TPs by using a GUF. I tried to use a TA to apply a GUF without success because of rule 1.