FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
View Single Post
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:05 pm
BenSenise
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc234
True if you don't maximize the base fare. I've never redeemed via the AMEX fixed mileage program but taxes are not covered but you are however allowed to convert points at a really bad rate i think it was like at a value of $0.01 per point to cover.
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
You have to pay taxes, fees and career surcharges (like YQ). You can book a flight which is more expensive than the maximum in which case you pay the difference (so the ticket is not free at all but at least you get the maximum credit from the points)
Originally Posted by Low Roller
The Amex fixed point travel program only covers the base cost. Here are the terms from my biz platinum card:

"You can redeem a fixed number of points to cover the base ticket price of eligible flights up to the applicable maximum base ticket price. The base ticket price (often referred to by airlines as the base fare) excludes taxes, fees and carrier surcharges. You will be charged for these additional costs and any dollar amount that exceeds the applicable maximum base ticket price. "
ah, okay. so actually you could max out the benefit, e.g. get a ticket that has a base fare of $325 and pay the $25 plus charges. this would get you the max return that sxc234 stated.

thanks for the additional info Yul_voyager and Low Roller. I'm still on the fence regarding this card. I'm in no rush so we'll see. great info and discussion on this thread. thanks to all.