Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alc
American Express Cobalt Credit Card

GCR $50 Rebate --> https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/

Detail copy from GCR link above:
  • In your first year as a new Cobalt Cardmember, you can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 30,000 points in a year.
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by 01/30/18 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend a total of $3,000 in net purchases in your first 3 months
  • Earn 5 points for every $1 spent on Card purchases at eligible restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada
  • Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases. That’s 2X the points on purchases that get you from point A to B
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else. We won’t tell you where to spend, we’ll just reward you on your Card purchases
  • Get advance access to tickets to some of the hottest concerts, shows and events through Front Of The Line® by American Express Invites® and advance screenings to blockbuster movies. Plus, more great perks.
  • American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link.
  • $10 per month of Cardmembership ($120 annually)
Print Wikipost

2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nli007
My biggest concern right now is whether or not I will earn 5x MR for restaurant/bar/grocery purchases OUTSIDE of Canada.

Hoping someone will test out the card soon haha
probably, but you will also have to pay the 2.5% forex, so nut sure it is better than the Visa Marriott...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by BenSenise
the percentage return is only accurate when you get a ticket at the maximum price allowed. If you get a ticket that had a base fare of let's say $200, then your return is 6.7%

BUT, do you have to pay taxes & fees on these tickets or do the points cover the whole cost? in the latter case the return could potentially be even higher than 10%. i've never used fixed price redemptions of this kind before, like RBC Rewards and Air Miles to name a couple.
True if you don't maximize the base fare. I've never redeemed via the AMEX fixed mileage program but taxes are not covered but you are however allowed to convert points at a really bad rate i think it was like at a value of $0.01 per point to cover.

Taking signup bonuses out of the equation - if i were to spend $50K and assuming all purchases are in the 5X category i can get 62.5K pts via SPG AMEX (after airline transfers) or the same via AMEX Plat vs the Cobalt now which is enough for a RT anywhere in the world in J - granted base fares are <$4.5K. It's an interesting proposition - now actually spending $50K on Groceries, Dining Out, Gas may not be easy but could make sense for some.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
the percentage return is only accurate when you get a ticket at the maximum price allowed. If you get a ticket that had a base fare of let's say $200, then your return is 6.7%

BUT, do you have to pay taxes & fees on these tickets or do the points cover the whole cost? in the latter case the return could potentially be even higher than 10%. i've never used fixed price redemptions of this kind before, like RBC Rewards and Air Miles to name a couple.
You have to pay taxes, fees and career surcharges (like YQ). You can book a flight which is more expensive than the maximum in which case you pay the difference (so the ticket is not free at all but at least you get the maximum credit from the points)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
The Amex fixed point travel program only covers the base cost. Here are the terms from my biz platinum card:

"You can redeem a fixed number of points to cover the base ticket price of eligible flights up to the applicable maximum base ticket price. The base ticket price (often referred to by airlines as the base fare) excludes taxes, fees and carrier surcharges. You will be charged for these additional costs and any dollar amount that exceeds the applicable maximum base ticket price. "
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc234
True if you don't maximize the base fare. I've never redeemed via the AMEX fixed mileage program but taxes are not covered but you are however allowed to convert points at a really bad rate i think it was like at a value of $0.01 per point to cover.
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
You have to pay taxes, fees and career surcharges (like YQ). You can book a flight which is more expensive than the maximum in which case you pay the difference (so the ticket is not free at all but at least you get the maximum credit from the points)
Originally Posted by Low Roller
The Amex fixed point travel program only covers the base cost. Here are the terms from my biz platinum card:

"You can redeem a fixed number of points to cover the base ticket price of eligible flights up to the applicable maximum base ticket price. The base ticket price (often referred to by airlines as the base fare) excludes taxes, fees and carrier surcharges. You will be charged for these additional costs and any dollar amount that exceeds the applicable maximum base ticket price. "
ah, okay. so actually you could max out the benefit, e.g. get a ticket that has a base fare of $325 and pay the $25 plus charges. this would get you the max return that sxc234 stated.

thanks for the additional info Yul_voyager and Low Roller. I'm still on the fence regarding this card. I'm in no rush so we'll see. great info and discussion on this thread. thanks to all.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
My biggest concern right now is whether or not I will earn 5x MR for restaurant/bar/grocery purchases OUTSIDE of Canada.

That's mine as well. If the 5x for restaurant and the 2x for Hotels are valid outside Canada and IF the SPG Amex doesn't extend the double SPG points for Marriott/ SPG stays, I think this could replace my SPG Amex. 99% of my spend is on hotels, Uber/Lyft and restaurants. (I use my SPG Amex exclusively for business travel).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:20 pm

problem for most people here is AMEX only allow 2 CC max, my wife have a 10+ year AMEX simplecash card and a new SPG Busi card, will have to cancel AMEX Simplecash to get Cobalt card approved
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Interesting result after applying.

Have a Plat/Gold charge card and had a SPG AMEX (and nothing else). As of now, I don't have any credit card (not charge cards) with AMEX.

I was not instantly approved for this Cobalt card.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:03 pm

Maybe they're only approving millennials
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I was not instantly approved for this Cobalt card.
Ring them, I had the same thing, they just wanted to double check it was me that was applying.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:39 am

Not going to happen. Amex Canada is very clear on that, and in my experience as a cardmember for 18 years now, they mean it.

You can earn Membership Rewards points for eligible consumer purchases at American Express retail merchants as follows: 5 points for every $1 at or for (i) restaurant, quick service restaurant, coffee shop and drinking establishments in Canada, (ii) stand-alone grocery stores in Canada, (iii) delivery of food and groceries in Canada as a primary business; and 2 points for every $1 at or for (i) stand-alone automobile gasoline stations in Canada, (ii) travel services or travel bookings including air, water, rail and road transport, lodging and tour operator sales, (iii) local commuter transportation in Canada including subway, streetcar, taxi, limousine and ride sharing services.
You'll notice that the only category that they do not specifically say "in Canada" is the travel bookings. So you'll get 2 MR points per C$1 for your airplane tickets and hotel, just like the Gold Rewards card; but *not* for the Uber ride you'll take from the airport to the hotel. Nor will you get the 5 points per dollar for any restaurant spend when you are on that trip.

And this is my #1 annoyance with Amex Canada. For being a company that markets itself and its products heavily as being for world travellers, they make truly terrible cards to actually use when travelling abroad.

So I'll use my Gold Card to book my flights and hotels and get the 2/1 bonus, and I'll use my Platinum Card to access the lounges and use the concierge for special reservations along the way... but when it comes to actually paying for things? Amex is at the bottom of my list thanks to the 2.5% Forex fee and the restrictions on bonus points to only being earned IN CANADA.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:20 am

GCR has $50 cashback for AMEX Cobalt card @ https://www.gcr.ca/details/Amex-Cobalt/
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
It looks like a pretty decent card, I mean, we spend a lot of $ on food/restaurants so I expect to earn a lot there.

I've got the TD Cashback (3%) for loblaws, but 5/$ @ le metro and longos is good.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jerryhung
GCR has $50 cashback for AMEX Cobalt card @ https://www.gcr.ca/details/Amex-Cobalt/
Interesting - does the Amex Cobalt card have a referral bonus? We don't have any personal stories yet since nobody's probably got one yet, but this leads me to think that it does? Do we know?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by JagStyles
My thinking is we'll both meet the minimum spend required each month and then at year-end (12 month mark), use up her rewards from the card and then cancel her card shortly thereafter.

However, does my strategy outlined above make sense in terms of maxing out the rewards on this card for both the wife and I? We will then use a no annual fee cashback Visa card for merchants that do not accept Amex.
If possible, make sure you each hit the $3000 spend in the first 3 months to get the extra 10K. Also, you don't really have to use up her rewards before you cancel, you can just transfer them to SPG to use later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.