FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Track My Bag - UA's bag tracking app
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:30 pm
DENviaLAX

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I don't recall ever seeing someone scan bags on a United flight as they come OFF the plane. Therefore, UA wouldn't actually know if the bag was taken off the plane because it wasn't scanned. So if it sees a departure scan on the flight you just arrived on from the originating airport then it's safe to assume it's made it to your destination airport and is ready to be delivered on the baggage belt.

If United were to provide us the info we all want, like what time a bag was taken off the plane before it got delivered on the belt, then they would have to scan every bag as it came off the plane. That would slow down the baggage delivery process so I don't see them starting this.

I think the scan showing it was loaded on the flight at the originating airport is sufficient.

-RM
Not only does United scan bags off the plane, but they have been doing it for years. Only recently have they started scanning them again when they're put on the claim belt (which is a new focus specifically because of this app feature). To me scanning terminating bags twice (within minutes of each other) is a huge redundancy and a waste of time/effort, but I suppose the more info the better.

Then again, if United were to show the passenger every single time their bag is scanned, it'd be information overload and probably counterproductive. Seeing a dozen different scans for each point in the bag's journey, half of which would confuse 99% of passengers, isn't really a beneficial addition in my eyes.