FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Track My Bag - UA's bag tracking app
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:06 pm
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
This was my experience arriving into MIA recently (the deleted itinerary immediately upon arrival part). I was able to retrieve the beta baggage functionality via a manual entry of my record locator. What concerned me was that it showed my bag as having arrived before bags could possibly have begun to be offloaded, leaving me to suspect that the app is simply drawing a conclusion from the aircraft's arrival and the bag's departure scan (and it's not clear to me that that's necessarily a scan as the bag is physically being loaded onto the aircraft).

On the whole, it's a start catching up to the competition, which is of course what UA's known best for (for better or worse)...
I don't recall ever seeing someone scan bags on a United flight as they come OFF the plane. Therefore, UA wouldn't actually know if the bag was taken off the plane because it wasn't scanned. So if it sees a departure scan on the flight you just arrived on from the originating airport then it's safe to assume it's made it to your destination airport and is ready to be delivered on the baggage belt.

If United were to provide us the info we all want, like what time a bag was taken off the plane before it got delivered on the belt, then they would have to scan every bag as it came off the plane. That would slow down the baggage delivery process so I don't see them starting this.

I think the scan showing it was loaded on the flight at the originating airport is sufficient.

-RM