FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA policy: Flights booked to hurricane affected areas through 2017
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:44 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jmorris2909
Appreciate it guys.

To answer a few questions, Yes I can apply the offered credits towards the new destination, but we have already altered plans to take an extended drive and sightseeing along multiple destinations instead of a single destination.

I was unaware that credit cards offer travel protection, I will have to call Chase to find out

Correction, AA is offering a voucher, but it was a hassle in itself to get her to agree to fly in the first place, now that this headache is happening it basically turned her completely off the idea. Unfortunately we rarely take vacations more than an hour or more drive away, so no, we will have no use for the voucher. Which is why I had hoped they would be transferrable as I have a co-worker that offered to buy them for a trip to Hawaii.

And last, AA has offered us other destinations in the Caribbean, but the reason USVI were chosen is that we don't have passports; and due to the timing of the honeymoon and our recent luck, we have decided to take a scenic trip to Salem, MA during the Halloween period; stopping at various cities along the way. I chose not to get insurance through AA as I was covered already in full by the hotel, but I did not anticipate a complete inability to communicate from the islands. I will attempt to first check what coverage my Chase card offers, from there attempt to contact the coverage I did purchase through Bolongo Bay Resort; lastly I will try to escalate with AA with the firm point that I will not be flying in the future.

I, unfortunately, did not book a package through an agency. I booked with Bolongo Bay and AA separately.
The insurance through Bolongo Bay is likely to pay off (assuming this kind of weather event and air travel are included), but it's the long game.

Escalating could get a refund if you request politely with the short version of your Bolongo Bay cancellation and hurricanes, but that would be an exception and very nice customer service gesture. I'd not expect it, frankly, but I'd suggest trying. (For others who might read this, threats, anger or demands will certainly fail.)

More about vouchers here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.

AA Conditions of Carriage