Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA policy: Flights booked to hurricane affected areas through 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Bookings to/from Hurricane Affected Areas 2017 - AA Policy

Link to aa.com Travel Alerts page, including Hurricane areas bookings for the remainder of 2017.

NOTE: Policy as of the end of Sep 2017 for SJU, STT, STX has changed again. See this post.

AA is waiving change fees for certain bookings to / from hurricane impacted areas in the southeast USA and Caribbean. The actual policy varies considerably and depends on the specific destination, and may change again in response to actual conditions on the ground.

E.g. For SXM / Princess Juliana Airport at Philipsburg, Sint Maarten:

Code:
Hurricane Irma - St. Maarten
 Information current as of September 13, 2017

If you’re traveling to/through/from:

St. Maarten, St. Maarten (SXM)
 The change fee may be waived if you:

• Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket by September 10, 2017
  • Are scheduled to travel September 5 - December 31, 2017
  • Can travel September 10, 2017 - September 30, 2018
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference
  • Change your trip
If your trip is eligible, you can change it online. Here’s how: Find your trip (link on aa.com) If your trip is eligible, you’ll see the option to ‘change trip’ in the toolbar Look up your trip (link on aa.com) Call Reservations Can't change your trip online? Contact Reservations
Print Wikipost

AA policy: Flights booked to hurricane affected areas through 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation AA policy: Flights booked to hurricane affected areas through 2017

Hello,

I have flights booked on AA to St Thomas in February 2018. We plan to take the ferry and stay in Tortola. Not knowing how much of the hurricane damage will be repaired, we are considering other vacation options. Does anyone know if AA will waive the change fees for our tickets?

Thank you for your help.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:05 pm

Going to Tortola is a good idea if you wish to help clean up hurricane damage and clear rubble, but not for a standard vacation.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Our vacation is planned for February. Do you know if the airlines will waive change fees if we choose to go somewhere else? My family also has flights booked on Delta.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:36 pm

I can't see any scenario where American will waive change fees simply because you want to choose a different destination, despite the circumstances at hand.

Even if your chosen hotel on St. Thomas is closed, that's not a reason for a free change/cancellation.

That said, American is running a business. And if tourism/business travel drops due to significant lodging closures (see Nevis circa 2008 or 2009 after the Four Seasons closed for a while), they will likely change their flight schedule and perhaps cancel some flights, which would be your way out of your current tickets. But that might not happen in the short-term, if at all.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. We haven't made a final decision yet. I will contact the airline directly closer to the date. Hopefully things will get much better for all affected by the hurricanes.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dave_261
I can't see any scenario where American will waive change fees simply because you want to choose a different destination, despite the circumstances at hand.

Even if your chosen hotel on St. Thomas is closed, that's not a reason for a free change/cancellation.

That said, American is running a business. And if tourism/business travel drops due to significant lodging closures (see Nevis circa 2008 or 2009 after the Four Seasons closed for a while), they will likely change their flight schedule and perhaps cancel some flights, which would be your way out of your current tickets. But that might not happen in the short-term, if at all.
Great point. I expect to see a reduction in flights during this year's high season. There is no way the USVI or the BVI will be in a position to handle tourism this season.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
We are booked into Key West first week in October.Would love to rebook to Maui.
HockeyCoachBen likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by pssteve
We are booked into Key West first week in October.Would love to rebook to Maui.
Very very unlikely that the Key West flights will be reduced.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Very very unlikely that the Key West flights will be reduced.
I'll take the under on that. Tourists need intact facilities to visit.

The OP should be looking for carrier changes and/or schedule changes to get a refund to original form of payment. Mainline to regional, regional to mainline, one regional carrier to another - it's all good if trying to get one's money refunded.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I just saw this story that a friend posted on Facebook:
http://www.caribbeantravel.com/blog/...sit-the-region

While there is some damage, some other areas are fine. Find the place that is good and change to there.

Someone replied with this comment:
Seven Seas in Turcs & Caicos survived virtually unscathed. To be able to visit that place for a discounted price is totally worth it!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by debp
Thank you for your reply. We haven't made a final decision yet. I will contact the airline directly closer to the date. Hopefully things will get much better for all affected by the hurricanes.
If you want to change, I'd do it now. And I bet they'll waive the change fees too.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:52 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Well......according to this person.......

http://www.12news.com/news/local/val...-fee/474233924

"SAN TAN VALLEY, Ariz. - Shari Harvey, a woman from San Tan Valley, wants to know why American Airlines didn’t do more when she had to cancel her trip to St. Martin in the Caribbean.
The airline (AA) told 12 News a special policy has been put in place for Saint Maarten and other Florida and Caribbean destinations that were hit hardest by Hurricane Irma.

Re-booking fees will be waived for all these destinations.

The airline also said it will honor the original ticket price the passenger paid for a future flight to the same destination between now and December 2018, assuming the original flight was planned between Sept. 5 and Dec. 31, 2017.
If passengers choose a new destination ... they must pay the difference.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 12, 2017 at 11:06 pm Reason: Edit to conform to FlyerTalk rules
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum. Please contain your discussion to how AA will handle travel booked to Hurricane Irma affected islands and US areas (e.g. Florida Keys), and experiences regarding the same.

Note: news sources must be quoted in accordance with the rules.

Thank you,

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 12, 2017 at 11:46 pm
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA has posted extensive information on how they will be handling bookings to specific hurricane impacted areas. Be aware these may change as the conditions on the ground change.

For example, to go along with the article linked to above:

Hurricane Irma - St. Maarten
Information current as of September 13, 2017

If you’re traveling to/through/from: St. Maarten (sic), St. Maarten (SXM)

The change fee may be waived if you:
  1. Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  2. Bought your ticket by September 10, 2017
  3. Are scheduled to travel September 5 - December 31, 2017
  4. Can travel September 10, 2017 - September 30, 2018
  5. Don't change your origin or destination city
  6. Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference
  7. Change your trip
If your trip is eligible, you can change it online. Here’s how:

If your trip is eligible, you’ll see the option to ‘change trip’ in the toolbar..
Links and further information on this page.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 12, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by aztimm
I just saw this story that a friend posted on Facebook:
http://www.caribbeantravel.com/blog/...sit-the-region

While there is some damage, some other areas are fine. Find the place that is good and change to there.

Someone replied with this comment:
There's a thread in the Luxury Hotel forum with a list of damage to various hotels in the region affected by Irma, including information from DavidOM on all Virtuoso properties. Some seem to be almost completely destroyed while others are undamaged or suffered only a bit of cosmetic damage. Many hotels have announced when they expect to reopen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.