FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JAL - No Seat Selection till 72 hrs before flight
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:58 am
sailor279

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Discoverist
Food selections (if you can call it that): a butter chicken or salmon. I went with the one that was listed as "salmon" on a handful of somewhat crispy rice. Noodles, spinach and fruit along side. I enjoyed the rice but the sliver of salmon was barely passable. Desert was a mini cup of Vanilla bean Häagen-Dazs which I enjoyed with a red wine

As a first time flyer on JAL, I had a perception that it would be better but I suppose it's still coach. I read on another post that the pre-ordered meals arrive about 20 minutes ahead of the regular service and this was true on my flight. Those passengers were done before the regular service started. I had to try the JAL original drink "Sky Time Kiwi", which was surprisingly good. Never had kiwi juice nor a beverage that was uniquely produced for an airline. Quirky. PS: just found this if you want the official meal description: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...beverages.html

On the NRT-SIN leg, I needed to sleep so I got 18K, a window seat. Was really cramped (passenger next to me) and damn cold. Window seats tend to be colder anyway but the A/C was blasting directly at me. The blanket was thin and only useful to cover my head/upper body like a mummy. Luckily I snagged the fleece blanket from my previous flight so I didn't completely freeze. Not sure if it's the way the 767 is designed but I would not choose this cold seat again.

Other than that, I enjoyed the quirky/charming precision of the service. Observing the interaction between the lead FA and the others--several of whom had "Trainee" tags, it was clear that they took pride in their work. I appreciate this especially in contrast to the neutral to crappy attitude that one receives here in the US.

Last edited by sailor279; Sep 21, 2017 at 11:14 am