Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL - No Seat Selection till 72 hrs before flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA ex-1K, AA, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry

I have an upcoming flight in Nov from JFK to SIN (stop in Narita) and the class fare did not allow me to choose seats. I know I can wait till 72 hrs before my flight to select my seats online. However, my question is whether we will get to sit together. I don't know what happens if the flights are overbooked (will I get booted because I don't have an assigned seat?).

Anyone has any experience with this? I called JAL today and they said they really don't know (except the NRT to SIN flight is getting full).

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by HKQT
I have an upcoming flight in Nov from JFK to SIN (stop in Narita) and the class fare did not allow me to choose seats. I know I can wait till 72 hrs before my flight to select my seats online. However, my question is whether we will get to sit together. I don't know what happens if the flights are overbooked (will I get booted because I don't have an assigned seat?).

Anyone has any experience with this? I called JAL today and they said they really don't know (except the NRT to SIN flight is getting full).

Thanks!
JAL does block a lot of seats until online check-in opens. So if you are ready at T-72 you will be able to select seats. And there are whole rows blocked so finding two together should also not be a problem.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:57 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL does block a lot of seats until online check-in opens. So if you are ready at T-72 you will be able to select seats. And there are whole rows blocked so finding two together should also not be a problem.
Or just go to the airport early
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Discoverist
I just completed a NRT-SIN RT this week and had an N fare that didn't allow seat selection ahead of time on the return. I was able to select a seat and checkin about 30 hours ahead of time. It may have been avail earlier but I didn't have time to check.

The JAL website is pretty horrible and the checkin/seat selection required multiple pages of effort to confirm my details, and then select from a very basic seat map. It appeared to fail but apparently worked as I had the seat when I checked in the next morning. On the positive side, the gate agent was very helpful in finding me another seat without someone sitting next to me.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Great feedback everyone! Much appreciated! I tried to "purchase" a higher airfare online just so I can see the seat map JFK -> NRT seat map wasn't available and the NRT -> SIN seat map looks mostly full.

Glad to know that JAL blocked them and that they are not actually full.

Thanks everyone!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:49 am
Original Poster

<delete>
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sailor279
I just completed a NRT-SIN RT this week and had an N fare that didn't allow seat selection ahead of time on the return. I was able to select a seat and checkin about 30 hours ahead of time. It may have been avail earlier but I didn't have time to check.

The JAL website is pretty horrible and the checkin/seat selection required multiple pages of effort to confirm my details, and then select from a very basic seat map. It appeared to fail but apparently worked as I had the seat when I checked in the next morning. On the positive side, the gate agent was very helpful in finding me another seat without someone sitting next to me.
How was the food selection?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:58 am

Food selections (if you can call it that): a butter chicken or salmon. I went with the one that was listed as "salmon" on a handful of somewhat crispy rice. Noodles, spinach and fruit along side. I enjoyed the rice but the sliver of salmon was barely passable. Desert was a mini cup of Vanilla bean Häagen-Dazs which I enjoyed with a red wine

As a first time flyer on JAL, I had a perception that it would be better but I suppose it's still coach. I read on another post that the pre-ordered meals arrive about 20 minutes ahead of the regular service and this was true on my flight. Those passengers were done before the regular service started. I had to try the JAL original drink "Sky Time Kiwi", which was surprisingly good. Never had kiwi juice nor a beverage that was uniquely produced for an airline. Quirky. PS: just found this if you want the official meal description: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...beverages.html

On the NRT-SIN leg, I needed to sleep so I got 18K, a window seat. Was really cramped (passenger next to me) and damn cold. Window seats tend to be colder anyway but the A/C was blasting directly at me. The blanket was thin and only useful to cover my head/upper body like a mummy. Luckily I snagged the fleece blanket from my previous flight so I didn't completely freeze. Not sure if it's the way the 767 is designed but I would not choose this cold seat again.

Other than that, I enjoyed the quirky/charming precision of the service. Observing the interaction between the lead FA and the others--several of whom had "Trainee" tags, it was clear that they took pride in their work. I appreciate this especially in contrast to the neutral to crappy attitude that one receives here in the US.

Last edited by sailor279; Sep 21, 2017 at 11:14 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sailor279
Food selections (if you can call it that): a butter chicken or salmon. I went with the one that was listed as "salmon" on a handful of somewhat crispy rice. Noodles, spinach and fruit along side. I enjoyed the rice but the sliver of salmon was barely passable. Desert was a mini cup of Vanilla bean Häagen-Dazs which I enjoyed with a red wine

As a first time flyer on JAL, I had a perception that it would be better but I suppose it's still coach. I read on another post that the pre-ordered meals arrive about 20 minutes ahead of the regular service and this was true on my flight. Those passengers were done before the regular service started. I had to try the JAL original drink "Sky Time Kiwi", which was surprisingly good. Never had kiwi juice nor a beverage that was uniquely produced for an airline. Quirky. PS: just found this if you want the official meal description: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...beverages.html

On the NRT-SIN leg, I needed to sleep so I got 18K, a window seat. Was really cramped (passenger next to me) and damn cold. Window seats tend to be colder anyway but the A/C was blasting directly at me. The blanket was thin and only useful to cover my head/upper body like a mummy. Luckily I snagged the fleece blanket from my previous flight so I didn't completely freeze. Not sure if it's the way the 767 is designed but I would not choose this cold seat again.

Other than that, I enjoyed the quirky/charming precision of the service. Observing the interaction between the lead FA and the others--several of whom had "Trainee" tags, it was clear that they took pride in their work. I appreciate this especially in contrast to the neutral to crappy attitude that one receives here in the US.
Thanks so much for the helpful insight! One more complication I have is the carry on size/allowance. I plan on only bringing a rolling carry-on and a backpack (35L). I will be "hanging out" at the SIN airside lounge after I land until my flight onwards that morning (9am). I really want to avoid checking in anything since I won't be collecting my baggage until it comes closer to my flight time (6 hrs later).

How strict is JAL with carry-ons (both size and weight)? I'm only worried about outbound since I will check in baggage coming back to JFK. I actually went to JFK with my baggage but there was no JAL sample carry-on metal box for me to try and fit my luggage in. The JAL gate agent just eyeballed my bag and said it's fine (however, I checked with another airline carry-on metal box and it didn't fit).

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:57 am

I brought a 22x10 rollerboard + laptop bag (my standard carry on) and no one questioned me.

I too spent the night in SIN as I wanted to wait until morning before going into town. There is no JAL lounge and only SATS and Dnata are open 24hrs, so your choices are to:
(1) wander the airport - many places to sit and sleep and things to see
(2) check into a transit hotel
(3) enjoy one of the lounges, like I did

Despite a post on OneMileAtATime from 7/2016, SATS Premier no longer accepts JAL/One World (so they told me). Unless you have Priority Pass, your only overnight lounge option in T1 is Dnata. I found Dnata to be very nice and entered by paying through Lounge Buddy app because I no longer have Priority Pass. Here's a $10 Lounge Buddy Discount code: 9VEHBQAur1 for Dnata lounge if you go that route. You purchase a 4-hour visit and although the front desk agent mentioned the time limit to me, no one appeared to be enforcing this. I stayed for about 6 hrs. Drinks are avail all night (including great Hudson's coffee, served by baristas after 6am) but food resumes about 3am. Worth the $28 I paid!

Last edited by sailor279; Sep 26, 2017 at 9:10 am
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Again, I appreciate the thorough feedback. My partner has priority pass through Chase so we should be all set. I heard that Dnata lounge is very nice so looking forward to it. Thanks again! I can't wait!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:44 pm

Good luck on your travels
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
We're booked JFK/HND/SIN in coach. Is it true that JAL doesn't offer a buy-up option to Premium Economy?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:57 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dhammer53
We're booked JFK/HND/SIN in coach. Is it true that JAL doesn't offer a buy-up option to Premium Economy?
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/170321.html

Only at the airport. But how does this relate to advanced seat selection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.