FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Splitting a Coffee" in a Restaurant?
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:23 pm
Fredd

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by vloglady
The two ladies next to us at dinner last night (upscale seafood restaurant, dinner about $175 for two) shared a dessert and split a final glass of wine.

The waiter brought two glasses with an equal amount of red wine in each.
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I don't have a problem with that given the cost of wine in restaurants and I think the waiter handled it really well. Maybe they each wanted a taste but not a full glass - that's fine. But when it is coffee or soft drinks with unlimited refills, sharing one and then getting a refill is clearly violating the spirit of the restaurant's policy.
Same here. ^ More than once I've ordered a second glass of wine and poured a portion into Mrs. Fredd's glass, and we'd ordinarily joke about it with the server. Of course, our neighboring diners made their intentions clear as well.

However, let's hypothesize that it's a cheap wine and an expensive coffee, say, a $6 glass vs. a $3 cup.

My only rationale for drawing a distinction is that it's a second glass of wine versus a first cup of coffee.

IMHO the server handled it with class by offering a refill. I guess I'm overly sensitive about being labeled as a cheapskate, and your comments have reassured me that "splitting" one coffee between two diners is not common practice.