FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paris CDG / Charles de Gaulle checkin, transit, connection and related questions
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:38 am
Dallas49er

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by whimsey21
That's good to know. Last time I asked for a invitation at the check-in desk just to be safe, and the agent gave me one, but seemed a little reluctant. Next time I won't bother to ask.
(Red is mine)

Not asking, IMHO, is not a good strategy. Remember, you are dealing with the French, where YMMV depending on how THEY feel! (Some sarcasm, some truth, lots of experience).

Because the "wizards" in IT at AA, still can't manage to change my name on my account to match my passport, I still have to check-in in person and get a paper boarding pass. MrsDallas49erand I are in and out of CDG at least monthly, and even without checked bags, still try to be at CDG 3 hours+ ahead,

Reasons: RER strike, cab strike, UBER late, accident on the highway, national holiday (skeleton crew in security=LONG lines, and (my "personal" favorite) Kettles with more luggage than the Joads leaving Oklahoma at check-in.

It seems that some here like to "poke the bear" and push the limits in terms of arrival. That is a personal choice, and may work in the States, but one is potentially just as likely to get "push back" and find that the functionary who just spoke perfect English, now responds "Je ne parle pas!.".

And what the heck, one is going to be in a metal tube for at least 7 hours or more, the CDG AC is one of the best in system, and if you can get in, the CX lounge next door does a great noodle bar after 10!