FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:58 pm
ashill

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I'm going to be a bit short with my platinum challenge on EQDs only. My last flight of the period is LAX to JFK RT and is only needed for EQDs. I know typically points needed is based on a dollar amount per point, 1 cent per dollar but with insider fares it's less(and then half back for grandfathered plat bus).

How are EQDs figured? I assume they are earned even though MP point redemption, correct? Couldn't get a straight answer from the Advantage people and she said she couldn't find it at first, something about a transfer. I do show it on my app, though. Should I be taking miles used, figuring 1 cent per mile to get EQD estimate?
It sounds to me like you're confusing the percentage of miles flown with a percentage of dollars spent. If you earn EQDs based on actual dollars spent on airfare, a dollar is an EQD is a dollar (as long as its fare or carrier-imposed fees, not taxes or government-imposed fees). If you're on a special/consolidator fare (where AA doesnt actually know how much you paid), it's a percentage of miles flown, not of dollars spent. Sometimes that percentage of miles flown works out to be more than the dollars spent.