FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air France Paris-Papeete via Los Angeles route
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:44 am
Goldorak
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by RMO
I will fly to Los Angeles on Air France flight 076 from Paris-CDG. This is the one flight that stops at LAX and then continues to PPT (Tahiti). I don't get though why they use an old aircraft (the Boeing 777-200ER) on a such a long route. Any logical explanation? They have much newer models in their fleet such as the 777-300ER or the 787 Dreamliner, wouldn't those be a better option to fly this route? I'm traveling only in Feb. 2018, do you think they may "upgrade" the aircraft they use on this route until then?
Do not take it bad, but your remark about the 772 being an "old aircraft used on such a long route"doesn't make any sense.
Airlines choose the best aircraft for a specific route depending on many factors (economics, yield, cabin configuration, number of seats). The 772 is perfect for this route for AF (I'm not saying that the 787 would be bad and maybe we'll see it one day on this route).
And the 772 are all equipped with the new cabins, so that's certainly a big plus, especially if you fly J.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's primarily leisure and might be a cheap beach route.
It's certainly primarily leisure, but it's certainly not a cheap beach route. It's a very expensive top luxury beach route.
There's also a significant government traffic to/from CDG.