Air France Paris-Papeete via Los Angeles route

Old Sep 9, 17, 9:41 am
  #1  
RMO
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 33
Air France Paris-Papeete via Los Angeles route

I will fly to Los Angeles on Air France flight 076 from Paris-CDG. This is the one flight that stops at LAX and then continues to PPT (Tahiti). I don't get though why they use an old aircraft (the Boeing 777-200ER) on a such a long route. Any logical explanation? They have much newer models in their fleet such as the 777-300ER or the 787 Dreamliner, wouldn't those be a better option to fly this route? I'm traveling only in Feb. 2018, do you think they may "upgrade" the aircraft they use on this route until then?
RMO is offline  
Old Sep 9, 17, 10:19 am
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DCA or IAD (originally DUB)
Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Posts: 7,658
Originally Posted by RMO View Post
I will fly to Los Angeles on Air France flight 076 from Paris-CDG. This is the one flight that stops at LAX and then continues to PPT (Tahiti). I don't get though why they use an old aircraft (the Boeing 777-200ER) on a such a long route. Any logical explanation? They have much newer models in their fleet such as the 777-300ER or the 787 Dreamliner, wouldn't those be a better option to fly this route? I'm traveling only in Feb. 2018, do you think they may "upgrade" the aircraft they use on this route until then?
Your question doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
AF optimizes its aircraft utilization.
Suggest you read this thread from the AF forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...-schedule.html
UAPremExecflyer is offline  
Old Sep 9, 17, 10:27 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 87,586
I don't know how the yields would look on the PPT leg. It's primarily leisure and might be a cheap beach route. Airlines tend to use their best aircraft on business oriented competitive but high yielding routes, including flagship routes. Of course, these considerations are after using aircraft that have the required capability for the route, including freight loads, and are the right size for (revenue) passenger loads. Network optimization also plays a role.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 9, 17, 11:29 am
  #4  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,487
Please continue to follow this thread in the AF Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
obscure2k is offline  
Old Sep 9, 17, 11:29 am
  #5  
RMO
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 33
Thank you both.
The link was indeed useful. I was afraid most of the B772s were equipped with their old cabin yet.
I thought they would rather use a more fuel-efficient plane (such as the ones I pointed out) since it's two long-haul flights. They fly the B777-300ER and the A380 on their two other flight numbers on the CDG to LAX route.
RMO is offline  
Old Sep 9, 17, 11:44 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 14,773
Originally Posted by RMO View Post
I will fly to Los Angeles on Air France flight 076 from Paris-CDG. This is the one flight that stops at LAX and then continues to PPT (Tahiti). I don't get though why they use an old aircraft (the Boeing 777-200ER) on a such a long route. Any logical explanation? They have much newer models in their fleet such as the 777-300ER or the 787 Dreamliner, wouldn't those be a better option to fly this route? I'm traveling only in Feb. 2018, do you think they may "upgrade" the aircraft they use on this route until then?
Do not take it bad, but your remark about the 772 being an "old aircraft used on such a long route"doesn't make any sense.
Airlines choose the best aircraft for a specific route depending on many factors (economics, yield, cabin configuration, number of seats). The 772 is perfect for this route for AF (I'm not saying that the 787 would be bad and maybe we'll see it one day on this route).
And the 772 are all equipped with the new cabins, so that's certainly a big plus, especially if you fly J.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It's primarily leisure and might be a cheap beach route.
It's certainly primarily leisure, but it's certainly not a cheap beach route. It's a very expensive top luxury beach route.
There's also a significant government traffic to/from CDG.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Sep 10, 17, 3:52 am
  #7  
RMO
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Do not take it bad, but your remark about the 772 being an "old aircraft used on such a long route"doesn't make any sense.
Airlines choose the best aircraft for a specific route depending on many factors (economics, yield, cabin configuration, number of seats). The 772 is perfect for this route for AF (I'm not saying that the 787 would be bad and maybe we'll see it one day on this route).
And the 772 are all equipped with the new cabins, so that's certainly a big plus, especially if you fly J.
I don't. Actually I'm a noob. I checked the average age of AF's 772 fleet after booking the flights and was expecting poor and worn out seats, not up to date IFE, etc., but if the airplanes are all equipped with the new cabin I am happy and ok with it.
RMO is offline  
Old Sep 11, 17, 3:24 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,658
The average age of a plane or a plane type in a fleet tells you nothing about the seats, IFE, etc. Everything in and on a plane can be replaced. You can never assume that just because a plane is, say, 12.5 years old, that the interior is still the original one installed back on day 1.
irishguy28 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: