FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Period between tier point year end and expiry of card - what is my status
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:15 pm
Physci

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by squawk
This is something I was wondering recently as well (albeit with respect to Silver). Hypothetically: TP year ends 8th Jan, card valid to end Feb 2018. If you make flights in the not-quite-two months between the end of the tier point collection year and the expiry of the card, they presumably earn at the 150% rate, and you retain the baubles (e.g. seat selection at time of booking).

If you then rack up 600 points + 4 BA flights in that period before 28th Feb 2018 to requalify for silver, you'd then seamlessly continue for the remainder of that TP collection year (from 9th Jan 2018 to 8th Jan 2019) and the entire following year, 9th Jan 2019 to 8th Jan 2020. Your card wouldn't expire until the 29th Jan 2020 (that being a leap year).

In other words, a single trip accruing at least 600 points & 4 BA flights, in that gap between TP expiry and end of card year, would get all the benefits of the old Silver year (bonus miles etc) and requalify you for not quite two years.

Is my reasoning correct on this...?
Correct - I did exactly that (albeit at Gold level) last November with a TP run to get 1,500 points in the gap between the end of my TP year and the card expiry date. Received a downgrade silver pack from BA rapidly followed by a "you've achieved gold pack" and nearly 2 years at Gold.