Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Period between tier point year end and expiry of card - what is my status

Old Sep 8, 17, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

My tier point collection year ends today 8th Sept. I have 720 tier points so will drop from Gold to Silver (oh the shame of it &#128513.

My gold card says it I s valid until 31 October. So what is my status from tomorrow in relation any flights I take between now and 31 October?

Am I still Gold so will have access to First lounges, First check-in, the First Wing at T5, will I earn 100% bonus Avios for flights flown, will I still have access to additional reward availability in economy class?

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 17, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You will maintain your gold benefits until the expiry date of the card.
Old Sep 8, 17, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
You will retain all the benefits of Gold status until your card expires.
Old Sep 8, 17, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
You will maintain your gold benefits until the expiry date of the card.
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
You will retain all the benefits of Gold status until your card expires.
Almost word for word
Old Sep 8, 17, 3:39 pm

Clearly we were both in the same queue for brains, but I, unfortunately, got saddled with the good looks
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Sep 8, 17, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Clearly we were both in the same queue for brains, but I, unfortunately, got saddled with the good looks
My mum always said I was very pretty
argonath likes this.
Old Sep 8, 17, 4:29 pm

And 'special'
Old Sep 8, 17, 5:01 pm

This is something I was wondering recently as well (albeit with respect to Silver). Hypothetically: TP year ends 8th Jan, card valid to end Feb 2018. If you make flights in the not-quite-two months between the end of the tier point collection year and the expiry of the card, they presumably earn at the 150% rate, and you retain the baubles (e.g. seat selection at time of booking).

If you then rack up 600 points + 4 BA flights in that period before 28th Feb 2018 to requalify for silver, you'd then seamlessly continue for the remainder of that TP collection year (from 9th Jan 2018 to 8th Jan 2019) and the entire following year, 9th Jan 2019 to 8th Jan 2020. Your card wouldn't expire until the 29th Jan 2020 (that being a leap year).

In other words, a single trip accruing at least 600 points & 4 BA flights, in that gap between TP expiry and end of card year, would get all the benefits of the old Silver year (bonus miles etc) and requalify you for not quite two years.

Is my reasoning correct on this...?
Old Sep 8, 17, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by squawk View Post
This is something I was wondering recently as well (albeit with respect to Silver). Hypothetically: TP year ends 8th Jan, card valid to end Feb 2018. If you make flights in the not-quite-two months between the end of the tier point collection year and the expiry of the card, they presumably earn at the 150% rate, and you retain the baubles (e.g. seat selection at time of booking).

If you then rack up 600 points + 4 BA flights in that period before 28th Feb 2018 to requalify for silver, you'd then seamlessly continue for the remainder of that TP collection year (from 9th Jan 2018 to 8th Jan 2019) and the entire following year, 9th Jan 2019 to 8th Jan 2020. Your card wouldn't expire until the 29th Jan 2020 (that being a leap year).

In other words, a single trip accruing at least 600 points & 4 BA flights, in that gap between TP expiry and end of card year, would get all the benefits of the old Silver year (bonus miles etc) and requalify you for not quite two years.

At whatever point of your membership year you hit the threshold for a level you get that level immediately for the rest of the current membership year and one full membership year after. Your card will always expire at the end of the first full month after your renewal date. Obviously if qualify early in your membership year you can end up with 2 years worth of that status.
Old Sep 8, 17, 9:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Sirius Gold, Hertz PC, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by squawk View Post

Correct - I did exactly that (albeit at Gold level) last November with a TP run to get 1,500 points in the gap between the end of my TP year and the card expiry date. Received a downgrade silver pack from BA rapidly followed by a "you've achieved gold pack" and nearly 2 years at Gold.
Old Sep 8, 17, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If you hit a new status on a segment, would the follow on segments earn more Avios. So for example on a DUB-LHR-JFK silver flies DUB-LHR and the 40 TP make them gold, would the LHR-JFK leg earn the extra Avios automatically, would you have to ask, is this too petty for words?
Old Sep 9, 17, 1:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
It's likely they would post at the same time, before the status update has fed through the system, so you would have to call BA to get them to manually add the difference.
Old Sep 9, 17, 4:35 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
Originally Posted by rossmacd View Post
Almost word for word
... and both were swift, helpful, and accurate. Well done!

It also seems both respondents are intelligent, pretty, and can leap tall buildings in a single stride etc etc
Greenpen and rossmacd like this.
Old Sep 9, 17, 9:10 am

KARFA and Physci - thank you both for confirming my understanding of how it works

Last edited by squawk; Sep 12, 17 at 1:03 am Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 11, 17, 7:58 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG G 18 years
A perfectly timed set of questions and answers since I've just been pondering the exact same idea this afternoon. Glad I searched the Forum being confident that the wide experience of others would already have been generously shared.

I was confused with the meaning of Membership Year. I thought it was the period ending on the Card but it is the 12 month period to the end of the Tier Point Collection Year which is some 7 or 8 weeks earlier.

Almost two years Silver or Gold by careful planning suddenly makes the BA upper Tiers seem a close alternative to the two year Gold I receive on *A thanks to TG. *A Gold probably stills wins on points because of the two GUPs included which would require 3,500 BA TPs to match.

Search this Thread