FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JAL Intra-Japan earning change?
View Single Post
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:02 am
gary_nj

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I am in the middle of trying to get something straightened out for a set of flights that are totally within Asia (but not all intra-Japan) that have posted differently than shown on the AS website.

I have flown:
JL BKK-NRT (X class)
JL HND-ITM (J class)
JL KIX-BKK (X class)
All flights marketed and operated by JL

According to the website, all flights should earn the base miles, 25% COS bonus, 100% "additional bonus" and my Gold75K bonus of 125% (as I read it, anyway).

The two international (but intra-Asia) flights seem to have credited with base miles plus my Gold75K bonus of 125% plus a 10% COS. No "additional bonus" as shown on the website. For what it's worth, these seem to have been posted in J class rather than X (but the website shows the same earnings for J and X).

The intra-Japan flight posting is a mystery to me... Flight miles are 280, bonus is 895 for a total of 1175. My arithmetic skills are not good enough to find any combination of percentages that arrive at that result.

But of course, I care more about the international flights. I sent an email request and received a response describing the 10% COS on intra-Japan flights, which made no sense as the relevant flights are not within Japan. So I called and spoke with an agent who said that the website is incorrect for Japan Airlines earnings but could not explain what the correct earnings are.

I am wondering if the 10% COS is actually in place for intra-Japan or if they actually mean intra-Asia (without a corresponding flight to/from North America). And I wonder if there is some mixup in the booking classes that might cause the 100% "additional bonus" to not be applied.

To their credit, they did give me a 5000 mileage bonus as a goodwill gesture (even though I am out more than 5000 miles as compared to their website description). But what I care about more is understanding what the real earnings are, as I have some other trips to purchase and the mileage earnings affect the class of service that I buy. The agent promised to research it and get back to me, but that was two weeks ago and I have heard nothing.

Does anyone have any insight into JL earnings on flights totally within Asia? I am not quite sure how to escalate this further to get clarity on earnings. Thanks.