JAL Intra-Japan earning change?

Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
JAL Intra-Japan earning change?

Apparently the Alaska Airlines website partner information for JAL (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-airlines.aspx) has a mistake/oversight for Intra-Japan flights.

The website states that J class should receive 100% base, 25% COS, and 100% additional bonus after December 19, 2016.

The details state:

"Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Japan Airlines. Eligible flight numbers 0001–8999...Mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown, with 500 minimum miles on flights shorter than 500 miles."
Had two recent intra-Japan flights in J class. Their flight numbers are within that range and they posted with 500 base miles and a 10% COS instead of 25%. There also was no 100% additional bonus. So the total (before MVP bonuses) was 110% for 550 total instead of 1125. The international flights in business posted correctly at 225% before MVP bonuses. But the intra-Japan ones are stuck at only 10%. Apparently, after checking, I was told the website is incorrect.

To give them credit they posted the bonus miles as the website promises, but just was curious if others have found this issue too and if it is a permanent change which likely is to be updated on the website?

I note that AA also differentiates on their intra-Japan JAL credits, and makes that clear on their webpage: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp where they also mention that
"JL flights 53 and 54 between Tokyo Narita (NRT) and Nagoya (NGO), and flights 51 and 52 between NRT and Osaka Kansai (KIX) are considered international flights for the purpose of mileage accrual."
I wonder if that same exception is in the contract with AS too?!?!?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Thanks for the heads up! Flying Class J next week so took screenshots of the table as it was when booked.

I think the JAL earning chart has come up before here. A is both a discount domestic economy fare class and an international first class fare. AS' chart doesn't differentiate between the two.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Screenshots are a good idea!

I'll be interested in how it posts for you after the trip if you can post back to the thread perhaps?

The discounted A domestically likely also posts oddly. I think you are right.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:46 am

Sure, will definitely follow up with my own experience!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:36 am

flyaow, did you have your AS# added to the reservation or did you submit boarding passes afterwards? I'm looking at the BP and mine just says Class J but doesn't have the specific fare class (if there is more than one for Class J, not sure). Nor does it have the Eticket number on it.

I can pull up the booking page but not the actual receipt (don't have the confirmation #) and even then I'm not sure if it will show the fare class.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:14 am
Original Poster

It was on my record prior to checking in. I actually did have a J bucket fare according to the e-ticket, so I can't tell if it was printing the bucket on the boarding pass or just a generic J class.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:30 pm

Thank you! I guess I'll call JAL domestic and see if they can provide the confirmation number to allow me pull the receipt from the website.

Note to self: Receipt can be issued at the departing airport on the day of departure.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

If you are having trouble pulling it up on the JAL Japan website, sometimes the America regions site is "more generous" in pulling up the JAL records with less info if you use the "Login with Reservation number or Password from your travel agency" section here: https://www.5931.jal.co.jp/rsvInter/...M_LANGUAGE=ENG
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:05 pm

Unfortunately, this was a domestic only booking so I don't have a six character reservation number that will work with it, only a 4 digit booking number. I think I'll check with the JAL forum and see what the easiest way to obtain it would be before I try calling.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:09 am

Called JAL domestic and they gave me the 8 character confirmation code to pull up the receipt. Submitted that and the BP, along with proof of flight (nice feature! wish more carriers made it that easy) since the BP didn't have the originating airport on it.

AS credited as 100% + 25%COS + 100%RDM but no email response (typical in my experience with retro credits). My flight was not one of the AA international exceptions listed above, fwiw.

AS website hasn't been updated and still shows the same earning rate on JAL with no differentiation between international and domestic fares.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 pm

Spoke too soon. My wife checked her mileage activity, and while mine posted with 25% COS + 100% RDM bonuses, her's posted at just... 10% COS.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Were you booked on the same fare bucket? Odd that it posted differently. Did they give the same explanation when you contacted them about domestic vs. international? They really should update the website to reflect that if it is in fact their policy.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:25 pm

Yes, I believe so but the fare class isn't quite explicit. I did submit for retro credit in the same email though. No idea of the rationale because I didn't receive a response to the original (miles appeared) and haven't received a response to my follow up email so far.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

For what it is worth, they were quick to resolve it and post the full credit matching what the website promised over the phone. The miles were in the account before the phone call ended.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP
Wife and I have two domestic JAL flights next month (booked independently of any international travel). There's no option online for adding our AS numbers to the reservations, obviously. Sending in BP's, receipt and a "proof of flight" seems like a lot of work for 500-600 EQM and up to 1100 RDM, depending on which formula gets applied to each booking, but I guess I might do it.

It's either that or having them applied to AA, and I'm not eager to add to that balance even if it's only 500 miles/each flight.

There's no other options for crediting these flights to AS, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.