FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to book?
Thread: Where to book?
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:12 am
Randyk47

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 747FC
I've been on Seabourn twice, and while I haven't had caviar and champagne in the water, our itineraries were not set for that type of adventure.

I think that the caviar/champagne vision is part of their branding, and the image does nicely portray a lifestyle to which many aspire.

The reality on Seabourn is that you can order caviar for room service at any time, and can have it served at a bar if you desire. While champagne is freely available at any location, they no longer provide more than one bottle in your room free of charge.

The problem I have with Seabourn is that that the alcohol that is freely available rarely is of the quality that their clientele would purchase at home.

So much for branding...

BTW, one other poster mentioned pretentiousness. I have not found the staff on Seabourn to be pretentious, nor are the vast majority of the guests. Of course, you can find pretentious people anywhere, even on a low-budget line.
Interesting observation about the quality of the freely available alcohol on Seabourn. I hadn't heard that before and thought Seabourn and Silversea were pretty much the same. Now admittedly we're not exactly demanding but our typical standards at home are Flor de Cana rum (7 or 12 year old), Bombay Sapphire gin, and minimally Absolut vodka though we have been experimenting with some local Texas handcrafted vodkas like Titos and Enchanted Rock. We're not big scotch or whiskey drinkers so really don't have a preference or preferred brand. Generally we've always been able to get our favorites on Silversea as standards at no additional cost. Wine is a bit different and have to say we've had everything from great but not well known wines to bilge cleaner wines as the standard included wines. Luckily they have a pretty good cellar and are often able to find us something, frequently at no charge, from their standard stock.