FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sapphire and Hurricane Harvey
View Single Post
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:26 am
TominLazybrook

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by mia
The Minimum Payment is based on your statement balance, and the amount you are required to pay is shown on the statement. Here is the formula:

The Automatic Payment feature is flexible. You can set it to pay the full statement balance -or- the minimum payment due as shown on the statement. You do not need to figure out the difference between the autodebit and the actual amount owed. If you make a manual payment before the automatic payment is processed the automatic payment is reduced by the same amount. For example, if your Minimum Payment is $50, and you pay $400, Chase will not take another $50. This is a really simple and genuinely useful feature which would have prevented the exact problem which you have experienced.
OK. Gotcha on the autopay. That being said, its kind of crazy for a card to assume that people will just autopay.

So lets be clear here. The consensus around here is that Chase Sapphire is really only for people who autopay. Noted.

Here's hoping none of y'all ever have a problem with your bank's IT system in the autopay scenario. I think 5 or so days from interest free to suspended
is a really tight window. Things happen (like outages, IT glitches, natural disasters, etc.). It just seems to me that Chase's window is too tight. Apparently, no one else would ever go, whether via a mistake or a fault out of your control, outside that 5 day window. Apparently I'm the only one. You guys think its impossible. Its not. The problem with that tight window is that every once in a while things happen.

Either way, its time to clear out that rewards account anyway, especially in light of United's new redemption policy on reward miles.

The crew is here now to rip out drywall. Gotta run.

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Sep 1, 2017 at 7:35 am