We just got back from this road trip:
Day 1 - DC - Parsippany NJ
Day 2 - Parsippany NJ - Bangor ME
Day 3 - Bangor ME - Halifax NS
Day 6 - Halifax NS - Bar Harbor ME
Day 8 - Bar Harbor ME - Ogunquit ME
Day 9 - Ogunquit ME - Parsippany NJ
Day 10 - Parsippany NJ - DC

We did this from the 18th to the 29th of August and had virtually no traffic. Even with virtually no delays, the distances were such that it was backbreaking. (Yeah, I know you're not going to Nova Scotia....but there are a lot of two lane roads in Maine en route to/from the seacoast towns.)

I simply can't imagine trying to do your itinerary on Labor Day weekend. You will spend almost all your waking hours behind the wheel, doing a remake of Jean Luc-Goddard's film "Weekend." Labor Day traffic - and the certainty of accidents and resultant traffic delays - make your trip frustrating, to say the least.

That said, if you still want to give it a go, go thru Bangor (or at least Brewer) to get to Bar Harbor and take note that, as of last week, Route 3 - the primary way in and out - was under construction. It was closed outbound and you had to detour along Crooked Road.

Good luck, and bring plenty of patience.
Thanks for the tip! I'll be going from Sunday to Wednesday rather than the more traditional Friday to Monday. Hopefully traffic will be much better by then.