Day 1 (Sunday)
Depart early PM. (Earliest I could do.)
Drive to Bath, ME.
Stay at Hampton Bath.

Day 2 (Monday)
US 1 to Acadia NP.
Full day in Acadia NP.
Drive to Portland, ME.
Stay at Doubletree Portland/HGI Portland Downtown/Hampton Portland Downtown/Hyatt Place Portland. (HGI or Hampton? Hampton's room looks nicer.)

Day 3 (Tuesday)
Half day in Portland, ME.
Drive to Providence, RI. Stopping at Portsmouth, NH.
Half day in Providence, RI.
Stay at Hilton Providence.

Day 4 (Wednesday)
Depart early AM.
Back in PHL early PM. (Class)

Acadia NP would be the main event. Plus striking 3 more states off my list to bring the total to 38.

Any advice?

Edit: See #11 for update.

Last edited by jacobguo; Aug 31, 17 at 10:04 pm
Old Aug 31, 17, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jacobguo View Post
Planning to do Acadia NP from PHL for Labor Day. My itinerary:

Day 1
Drive to Bath, ME.
Stay at Hampton Bath.
Your driving is going to be hell — lots of time in your car without moving. Philly to Bath leaving tomorrow afternoon? I wouldn't leave NYC tomorrow afternoon for Bath let alone leaving from Philly.

Day 2
US 1 to Acadia NP.
Full day in Acadia NP.
Drive to Portland, ME.
Stay at Doubletree Portland/HGI Portland Downtown/Hampton Portland Downtown/Hyatt Place Portland. (HGI or Hampton? Hampton's room looks nicer.)
You are rushing Acadia with this itinerary.

Day 3
Half day in Portland, ME.
Drive to Providence, RI. Stopping at Portsmouth, NH.
Half day in Providence, RI.
Shocked with this one too!

Day 4
Depart early AM.
To avoid traffic, you'll need to leave early.

Acadia NP would be the main event. Plus striking 3 more states off my list to bring the total to 38.

Any advice?
You will be in your car more than enjoying the places you're traveling to see. I'd fly to BGR from PHL, rent a car, and skip the hellish long-distance driving moving at a snail's pace.
jacobguo likes this.

Last edited by Analise; Aug 31, 17 at 11:51 am
Old Aug 31, 17, 1:07 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I'm with Analise, you're coming to Northern New England on Labor Day weekend, and so is the rest of the world (or so it will seem). I'm predicting you'll hit traffic snags in at least New York, Massachusetts, and Maine, possibly New Hampshire too. Obviously I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not sure there is much you can do to avoid traffic heading to Maine because of your timing, but going from Bath to Acadia on Day 2, I would take I-295/I-95 North to Bangor then head east from there, otherwise you'll hit traffic in at least Wiscasset, Thomaston/Rockland, Camden, and possibly Belfast and even Bar Harbor once you start to get near Acadia. Save driving up coastal Maine for a time when you have lots more time to kill, your itinerary doesn't seem to allow for that on this trip. If Acadia is, as you say, the main event, you'll never get there in a timely manner going up Route 1.

From newest to oldest, the hotels you listed would go in this order: Hyatt Place, Hampton, HGI, Doubletree; Hampton and DT are definitely nice, haven't stayed at the others. The DT is actually located in South Portland, right across the street from the Maine Mall. If you want something downtown, you'd want one of the other three.

Day 3 looks fine, but if the weather is crappy (which it's supposed to be), indoor things are likely to be a zoo, so keep that in mind as you look at what specifically to do in each place.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Aug 31, 17, 1:23 pm

We just got back from this road trip:
Day 1 - DC - Parsippany NJ
Day 2 - Parsippany NJ - Bangor ME
Day 3 - Bangor ME - Halifax NS
Day 6 - Halifax NS - Bar Harbor ME
Day 8 - Bar Harbor ME - Ogunquit ME
Day 9 - Ogunquit ME - Parsippany NJ
Day 10 - Parsippany NJ - DC

We did this from the 18th to the 29th of August and had virtually no traffic. Even with virtually no delays, the distances were such that it was backbreaking. (Yeah, I know you're not going to Nova Scotia....but there are a lot of two lane roads in Maine en route to/from the seacoast towns.)

I simply can't imagine trying to do your itinerary on Labor Day weekend. You will spend almost all your waking hours behind the wheel, doing a remake of Jean Luc-Goddard's film "Weekend." Labor Day traffic - and the certainty of accidents and resultant traffic delays - make your trip frustrating, to say the least.

That said, if you still want to give it a go, go thru Bangor (or at least Brewer) to get to Bar Harbor and take note that, as of last week, Route 3 - the primary way in and out - was under construction. It was closed outbound and you had to detour along Crooked Road.

Good luck, and bring plenty of patience.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Aug 31, 17, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
Your driving is going to be hell — lots of time in your car without moving. Philly to Bath leaving tomorrow afternoon? I wouldn't leave NYC tomorrow afternoon for Bath let alone leaving from Philly.

You are rushing Acadia with this itinerary.

Shocked with this one too!

To avoid traffic, you'll need to leave early.

You will be in your car more than enjoying the places you're traveling to see. I'd fly to BGR from PHL, rent a car, and skip the hellish long-distance driving moving at a snail's pace.
Thanks for the reply!

I may have omitted some important details here... I'll be on the road from Sunday to Wednesday instead of Friday to Monday. Not sure if that's gonna make any difference?

Last edited by jacobguo; Aug 31, 17 at 1:52 pm
Old Aug 31, 17, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
I'm with Analise, you're coming to Northern New England on Labor Day weekend, and so is the rest of the world (or so it will seem). I'm predicting you'll hit traffic snags in at least New York, Massachusetts, and Maine, possibly New Hampshire too. Obviously I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not sure there is much you can do to avoid traffic heading to Maine because of your timing, but going from Bath to Acadia on Day 2, I would take I-295/I-95 North to Bangor then head east from there, otherwise you'll hit traffic in at least Wiscasset, Thomaston/Rockland, Camden, and possibly Belfast and even Bar Harbor once you start to get near Acadia. Save driving up coastal Maine for a time when you have lots more time to kill, your itinerary doesn't seem to allow for that on this trip. If Acadia is, as you say, the main event, you'll never get there in a timely manner going up Route 1.

From newest to oldest, the hotels you listed would go in this order: Hyatt Place, Hampton, HGI, Doubletree; Hampton and DT are definitely nice, haven't stayed at the others. The DT is actually located in South Portland, right across the street from the Maine Mall. If you want something downtown, you'd want one of the other three.

Day 3 looks fine, but if the weather is crappy (which it's supposed to be), indoor things are likely to be a zoo, so keep that in mind as you look at what specifically to do in each place.
Thanks for the reply! I'm actually going from Sunday to Wednesday so hoping the Labor Day crowd will die down quite a bit by then.

I originally planned to push for Bangor on Day 1 but decided to see coastal Maine as well. Perhaps I should revisit the earlier itinerary.
Old Aug 31, 17, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for the criticism!
You asked for advice. If all you wanted were 'yes men', don't ask.
Old Aug 31, 17, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HomerJay View Post
We just got back from this road trip:
Day 1 - DC - Parsippany NJ
Day 2 - Parsippany NJ - Bangor ME
Day 3 - Bangor ME - Halifax NS
Day 6 - Halifax NS - Bar Harbor ME
Day 8 - Bar Harbor ME - Ogunquit ME
Day 9 - Ogunquit ME - Parsippany NJ
Day 10 - Parsippany NJ - DC

We did this from the 18th to the 29th of August and had virtually no traffic. Even with virtually no delays, the distances were such that it was backbreaking. (Yeah, I know you're not going to Nova Scotia....but there are a lot of two lane roads in Maine en route to/from the seacoast towns.)

I simply can't imagine trying to do your itinerary on Labor Day weekend. You will spend almost all your waking hours behind the wheel, doing a remake of Jean Luc-Goddard's film "Weekend." Labor Day traffic - and the certainty of accidents and resultant traffic delays - make your trip frustrating, to say the least.

That said, if you still want to give it a go, go thru Bangor (or at least Brewer) to get to Bar Harbor and take note that, as of last week, Route 3 - the primary way in and out - was under construction. It was closed outbound and you had to detour along Crooked Road.

Good luck, and bring plenty of patience.
Thanks for the tip! I'll be going from Sunday to Wednesday rather than the more traditional Friday to Monday. Hopefully traffic will be much better by then.
Old Aug 31, 17, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise View Post
You asked for advice. If all you wanted were 'yes men', don't ask.
That was fast

Probably because I was posting at 3AM in the morning and didn't think it was important
Old Aug 31, 17, 3:59 pm
Suspended

This is what I will do

Day 1
Drive to Portland

Day 2
Portland

Day 3
Portland - Acadia

Day 4
Acadia - Philly
Old Aug 31, 17, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vaucluse View Post
This is what I will do

Day 1
Drive to Portland

Day 2
Portland

Day 3
Portland - Acadia

Day 4
Acadia - Philly
Acadia to Philly is a 10-hour drive without traffic though. Since I need to be back by early PM I'll probably have to leave by 4am - way too early even for me.
Old Aug 31, 17, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's advice. I think I'll change my trip to focus on Maine this time. NH/RI is doable for a weekend trip. ME is not.

Day 1 (Sunday)
Drive to Portland, ME.
Stay at ???.

Day 2 (Monday)
US 1 to Acadia NP.
Half day in Acadia NP.
Stay in Bar Harbor, ME.

Day 3 (Tuesday)
Half day in Acadia NP.
Drive to Providence, RI.

Day 4 (Wednesday)
Depart early AM.

Better?
Old Sep 1, 17, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Thanks for everyone's advice. I think I'll change my trip to focus on Maine this time. NH/RI is doable for a weekend trip. ME is not.

Day 1 (Sunday)
Drive to Portland, ME.
Stay at ???.

Day 2 (Monday)
US 1 to Acadia NP.
Half day in Acadia NP.
Stay in Bar Harbor, ME.

Day 3 (Tuesday)
Half day in Acadia NP.
Drive to Providence, RI.

Day 4 (Wednesday)
Depart early AM.

Better?
I will stay at Portland on Day 3 instead.

Search this Thread