FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:30 pm
warrenw

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by cjermain

There are all sorts of stories and opinions regarding United's PetSafe (and Continental's PetSafe before that). Some people will insist that even the shortest flight is cruel and dangerous for the animal and should be avoided at all costs. Few are open to changing their opinions regarding the cruelty, as most people already have strongly-held beliefs on this (I don't feel it is more stressful than being taken to a vet and left overnight for observation, which is plenty stressful, but not IMO cruel). As far as PetSafe, I have flown two different cats this way half a dozen times and have always been very impressed with the program. I think United does a great job. There have been some worrying incidents reported, but I have always been happy.
(Caveat: sounds like you will be flying internationally. This may be very different.)
​​​
Believe me, I'd avoid it if I could. But I'll be moving permanently and I'm not about to give me dog up for adoption or something like that, so flying is really the only option...

I recently found that UA won't allow pets on a flight where the total time in transit is over 12 hours. This includes the 2ish hours they have to be in the crate before the flight takes off. That disqualifies me from flying UA from ICN-SFO. I'll probably be flying Asiana instead, eventually.