FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with Pets on UA (In-Cabin or Cargo -- not ESA) {Archive}
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:16 pm
lancelot21

Programs: UA 1K, MM
In-cabin pet carrier as additional item?

At the end of this week, Mrs Lancelot and I are flying to Europe with two in-cabin pets. Every discussion I've seen online suggests that a pet carrier counts as one of your two pieces (i.e., a bag plus personal item). But United's website says:
You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit:
  • Jacket or umbrella
  • Reading material
  • Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
  • Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
  • FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
  • Diaper bag
  • Breast pump
  • Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)
Is this a policy change? A website mistake? Has anyone successfully brought a bag plus a personal item plus a pet carrier through TSA and on board?

It would help enormously to be able to have one additional carry-on, but I don't want to get stuck at TSA or someplace.

I'd note, if it matters, that we've paid for the seat between us as an "extra seat," though the United's website claims we don't get extra carry-on.

(Sorry if this is dealt with elsewhere. I find lots of discussion of how it's one of our items but I couldn't find anything addressing the language on United's website.)