FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expert Flyer vs Air NZ availability
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:01 pm
sbiddle

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
There can be many factors, including Point of Sale, married segments, and most importantly making sure there is a valid published A fare to go with the A inventory. If you need more help post here or email us with the details.
I understand all of those reasons.

To add some more information to this - A class is both a revenue class for Premium Economy and also used as upgrade class to Premium Economy.

Being able to book an A class ticket from the NZ website is a guaranteed way of seeing whether there is A class. If so upgrades for Airpoints Elite customers upgrades to Premium Economy can clear immediately.

When sold as a paid fare class A is a promo class for Premium Economy and is not sold during the peak Xmas period as you can see from the NZ fare schedule -

07OCT - 15DEC ALSVAM 2000 A
20JAN - 06OCT AHSVAM 2050 A
01JAN-31DEC OHSVAM 2250 O
EHSVAM 2550 E
UHFXAM 2950 U

When I look at a specific flight on EF however I see A7 availability for a flight during this period yet the NZ call centre insists there is no availability in their system.

I booked flights to the US a few months ago and cleared my upgrade using EF and seeing A availability during this period. A friend has now booked the same flights and I have lodged an APD upgrade for him. I rang to link the bookings so I could get his upgrade cleared immediately on the return flight (which is something NZ will do) but was told there is no availability.

I'm really just wondering if it's a case of NZ telling me a lie about availability or if there is something to do with availability that I don't understand.