Expert Flyer vs Air NZ availability

Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Expert Flyer vs Air NZ availability

Out of interest has anybody ever come across a scenario where Expert Flyer is showing A class availability but Air NZ call centre insist there is none?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Found KMS to be accurate previously (then I stopped and just booked R), never tried Expert Flyer buy maybe the subforum can help?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:54 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Out of interest has anybody ever come across a scenario where Expert Flyer is showing A class availability but Air NZ call centre insist there is none?
There can be many factors, including Point of Sale, married segments, and most importantly making sure there is a valid published A fare to go with the A inventory. If you need more help post here or email us with the details.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Long time subsciber to ExpertFlyer.

recently looking to change flight dates for one segment of ICN-BKK-AKL. I noted that the revised date BKK-AKL was showing C2D2J0 and the (now) same date ICN-BKK was wide open.

However, ICN-BKK-AKL showed C2D1 which I thought was odd, but was reflected on THAI's website.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Long time subsciber to ExpertFlyer.

recently looking to change flight dates for one segment of ICN-BKK-AKL. I noted that the revised date BKK-AKL was showing C2D2J0 and the (now) same date ICN-BKK was wide open.

However, ICN-BKK-AKL showed C2D1 which I thought was odd, but was reflected on THAI's website.
This is normal - there is no guarantee than A-B-C inventory is simply the set intersection of A-B and B-C.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by findark
This is normal - there is no guarantee than A-B-C inventory is simply the set intersection of A-B and B-C.
I know. I was amplifying ExpertFlyer Voice with an example.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
There can be many factors, including Point of Sale, married segments, and most importantly making sure there is a valid published A fare to go with the A inventory. If you need more help post here or email us with the details.
I understand all of those reasons.

To add some more information to this - A class is both a revenue class for Premium Economy and also used as upgrade class to Premium Economy.

Being able to book an A class ticket from the NZ website is a guaranteed way of seeing whether there is A class. If so upgrades for Airpoints Elite customers upgrades to Premium Economy can clear immediately.

When sold as a paid fare class A is a promo class for Premium Economy and is not sold during the peak Xmas period as you can see from the NZ fare schedule -

07OCT - 15DEC ALSVAM 2000 A
20JAN - 06OCT AHSVAM 2050 A
01JAN-31DEC OHSVAM 2250 O
EHSVAM 2550 E
UHFXAM 2950 U

When I look at a specific flight on EF however I see A7 availability for a flight during this period yet the NZ call centre insists there is no availability in their system.

I booked flights to the US a few months ago and cleared my upgrade using EF and seeing A availability during this period. A friend has now booked the same flights and I have lodged an APD upgrade for him. I rang to link the bookings so I could get his upgrade cleared immediately on the return flight (which is something NZ will do) but was told there is no availability.

I'm really just wondering if it's a case of NZ telling me a lie about availability or if there is something to do with availability that I don't understand.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Class availability can change day to day or even during the day.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Class availability can change day to day or even during the day.
It's shown A7 for weeks and was still showing it yesterday.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's shown A7 for weeks and was still showing it yesterday.
Like you said above, my experience has been to only rely on A class being available when doing a dummy booking from the New Zealand website.

Expert flyer or other booking search engines have routinely shown A class and upon ringing, up, there were none available. I managed to "find" these A class fares by dummy booking on the same flight I was looking at, but originating in the US.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.