FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - upgrade not available when booking with others?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:21 am
Rock72

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
upgrade not available when booking with others?

i guess i learn something new every day. maybe this was already known to all of you but it was new to me.

i'm MVP (almost at MVP gold for the first time) mostly on short travel trips this year.

i almost always fly alone and have had some luck getting complimentary upgrades to first even at MVP.

this weekend i'm flying with my family so we have one reservation for all of us. i noticed that i'm not on the waiting list for first class and that the waitlist is empty and that there are 4 seats in first.

so i called to see what's going on and found that:

if you're elite, you should either (book everyone together (you'll all get to board early, free 2 bags to check in each, etc.) but you will forego a spot on the first class waitlist) OR (book your elite seat separately so you'll be on the first class waitlist but your other members will be on a separate reservation so they will not get free bags to check in, early boarding, etc.).

had i known that i would have done the latter. we have young children so the family can board early anyway and we don't like to travel with too many bags so we usually just have 1 bag that we check in (so i can check it in as part of my 2 bag free allowance).

as for me deserting my family to sit in first, my wife is ok with it because we're traveling with her mother so she has enough help and it's only a short 2 hour flight.

in addition, if i did get the upgrade i was actually going to be nice about it and let my MIL sit there.

oh well.