Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

upgrade not available when booking with others?

Old Aug 25, 17, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum

i guess i learn something new every day. maybe this was already known to all of you but it was new to me.

i'm MVP (almost at MVP gold for the first time) mostly on short travel trips this year.

i almost always fly alone and have had some luck getting complimentary upgrades to first even at MVP.

this weekend i'm flying with my family so we have one reservation for all of us. i noticed that i'm not on the waiting list for first class and that the waitlist is empty and that there are 4 seats in first.

so i called to see what's going on and found that:

if you're elite, you should either (book everyone together (you'll all get to board early, free 2 bags to check in each, etc.) but you will forego a spot on the first class waitlist) OR (book your elite seat separately so you'll be on the first class waitlist but your other members will be on a separate reservation so they will not get free bags to check in, early boarding, etc.).

had i known that i would have done the latter. we have young children so the family can board early anyway and we don't like to travel with too many bags so we usually just have 1 bag that we check in (so i can check it in as part of my 2 bag free allowance).

as for me deserting my family to sit in first, my wife is ok with it because we're traveling with her mother so she has enough help and it's only a short 2 hour flight.

in addition, if i did get the upgrade i was actually going to be nice about it and let my MIL sit there.

oh well.
Old Aug 25, 17, 12:30 pm

From my personal experience, if you book with just one person, you are still on the waiting list. But I don't remember if the other one is also on the list or not. But if you book with two or more, you will be off the list.

It is totally understandable. The complimentary upgrade is for MVP but not MVP family.
Old Aug 25, 17, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Avis, Hilton, Hyatt, Bonvoy, GHA, Global Entry
You can have them split the PNR if it's not a companion fare, so that you can get the upgrade. But your family will remain in the back of the bus.
Old Aug 25, 17, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

yes, of course i don't expect them to upgrade the whole family. i only want them to upgrade me since i'm mvp and have the rest of the family in the back of the bus.

it's not a companion fare but at least when i called she didn't bring up that i can split the PNR. she made it sound like at this point it's too late for anything so keep this in mind for the future.
Old Aug 25, 17, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Yes, you can call and have them split the reservation so that you get added to the upgrade wait list. I did that a couple times when I was MVP (before I hit Gold) when I was traveling with my husband.
Old Aug 25, 17, 2:25 pm

I've definitely done that before. I even did it a couple of years ago on a Delta flight so I could get upgraded on a late night MSP-SEA segment via Alaska status.
Old Aug 25, 17, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titan, AS MVPG&AL, others no status
One warning: If you split the PNR you run the risk of possibly not being kept together in case of irrops. My husband and I don't book separately because of this.
Old Aug 25, 17, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

thanks! that took a little bit of work but thanks to all of you it worked!

i was able to get them to split the PNR so i'm on my own now and i am on the waitlist for first class.
Old Aug 25, 17, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Rock72 View Post
thanks! that took a little bit of work but thanks to all of you it worked!

i was able to get them to split the PNR so i'm on my own now and i am on the waitlist for first class.
Excellent. Good luck on your flight clearing.

Splitting a PNR is a fairly straightforward procedure, not sure why an agent gave you a hard time (aside from warning you the ramifications with the loss of baggage/preferred seating) as once split, the PNR can't be combined back again.
Old Aug 28, 17, 11:30 am
Original Poster

just a quick update. i got the upgrade!

after some wrangling between my mother in law and son over who would get the upgraded seat, my son ended up winning in this case. MIL will get the upgrade next time.

i got my upgrade confirmed at around 4am. the flight was at 6am and we got to the airport at 4:30am and got to the gate at 5:15am and they were already boarding the flight. we got on the plane and it looked like we might even leave early but there was an issue with the pilot (maybe he didn't show up) so another pilot was called in and we finally left at 6:30am.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 28, 17, 11:31 am
Original Poster

slight loophole might have also been found.

since my original PNR had everyone, i was able to book seats up front on the plane (didn't pay for the upgrade but we were all in premium economy).

when the PNR got split, the rest of the family still had their seats in premium economy.
Old Aug 28, 17, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Rock72 View Post
slight loophole might have also been found.

since my original PNR had everyone, i was able to book seats up front on the plane (didn't pay for the upgrade but we were all in premium economy).

when the PNR got split, the rest of the family still had their seats in premium economy.
Good to know... for future reference.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: