FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 'If We Have to Crash Land, Please Leave Your Bags'
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:28 pm
SvenAge

Originally Posted by gms
I guess you probably don't have a fear of flying, nor know someone who does? The effect of such stupid choice of words on someone who has a real fear of flying could be significant.

You seem to be assuming that the crew member somehow realises that they "made a mistake" and won't do it again? My thoughts are that if someone doesn't pull this crew member up about this, then they will probably just keep making the same stupid mistake again and again. I am not suggesting they are sacked. But they need to be told it is not acceptable. It may be a training issue or maybe it was a poor attempt at humour. Either way they need to use more appropriate words.
I am not familiar with people who have an irrational fear of flying. I don't think I could sit with someone who would be so fearful as it would be very aggravating. I would wonder why they believed their concerns for their safety should be greater than my concerns for my own safety and why they would be making an issue over something that needn't be. Yes, that perhaps defines irrational, but if people are so scared then the only way to get beyond this is to take a deep breath and apply some logic. We all have things that we are sensitive to and fearful of; none of us is more immune than the next person (generally). I also understand that each of us have different experiences, but at the same time, this is a unique one-time event that needn't be seen as fraught with danger. Just like I hate getting on roller coasters and feel physically terrible before, I've still broken the fear before getting on by asking the simple question of why would I be in more danger than the thousands before and after me (and yes maybe this does stem from once upon a time when the device didn't function to secure itself). Whenever I'm concerned on a flight, I also say that there are literally millions of flights each year, and that I'd have to be extremely unlucky to be caught up in something and that if I was, it would be out of my hands (for the most part). Likewise, if someone has survived a flight before, chances are they will survive another.

I really don't think people living in fear is the right way. It's an unhealthy choice for the person and the people around them. They should seek proper help.

The point is also that people can control what affects them if they know how. It's a myth that 'he did this to me because he said that'. Each individual can control the extent to which they are affected by behaviours. Many people just do not realise this but it can be done - of course easier said than done, but still, useful if you take a step back.