Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'If We Have to Crash Land, Please Leave Your Bags'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots

LCY to DUB yesterday. Our flight was delayed as apparently the flight in from DUB was delayed due to fog. Fair enough, this happens and there was lots of notice.

On landing, the pilot gave the 15 mins warning and the usual automated announcement made 'The captain has switched on the seat belt sign as we are about to land, please return to your seats blah blah blah'.

After this, the flight attendant followed up with 'Please remember that if we crash land, do not stop to collect your carry on luggage... <<<something or other about evacuating>>>'.

I'm sure I've not heard this before on landing, it certainly got my attention even if I now can't remember the last bit of the announcement! There was barely a ripple of acknowledgment from the cabin but in my experience the LCY flights seem to made up of many unflappable regular flyers. I could imagine the response on a beach fleet flight out of LGW, my last go around got many a muffled screech and my neighbour grabbed my hand and needed a little reassurance!

It was a little bumpy at times and visibility was low but I wouldn't say turbulent and I've landed in much worse with no such announcement. Is this new, is this routine in some conditions? Would it have been a request from the flight deck?
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
After this, the flight attendant followed up with 'Please remember that if we crash land, do not stop to collect your carry on luggage... <<<something or other about evacuating>>>'.
In the absence of any other context to explain this, it sounds thoroughly unprofessional to me. Are you sure you heard it correctly?
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In the absence of any other context to explain this, it sounds thoroughly unprofessional to me. Are you sure you heard it correctly?
Agreed.In the days when airlines sent crew to school to learn what to say and what not to say over the PA,it was drummed in never to mention crash in any context.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:00 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Did the crew member actually use the word "crash" or are you paraphrasing?

I would have thought that could result in disciplinary action for a crew member given that a reasonable % of passengers have some fear of flying. Using the word "crash" unnecessarily is about as stupid as making a joke about a bomb at security!
rapidex and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:12 am

I'm sure the cabin crew had good intentions on their mind, passengers stopping to collect hand luggage during evacuations is turning into a serious issue.

However, as always, it's all in the delivery and this announcement was very off-piste.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:18 am
Suspended

IMO, a more forceful message such as this might do some good: No one seems to pay any attention to these messages, so if it gets a couple of extra people listening and doing what they are legally required to do then it's no bad thing.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Reminds me of a friend I frequently fly with, he keeps his cigarettes and lighter on him the entire flight, when I questioned him why he wants extra bulk, his reply 'if the plane is going down I can have a final smoke!'.
20Rothmans likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
The other day on my BA booking but in this case operated by Iberia I was sitting in the window seat in the exit row and the FA went through the evacuation protocol and what he would say if I needed me to open the door - never had that much detail before.

No weather to speak of and this was before take off.

ETA LHR - MAD
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Correct announcement would be something along the lines of.."in the event of an emergency evacuation, please remember to leave all your bags behind and to evacuate the aircraft" or something along those lines i think.
HMPS likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
I was on the first DUB to LCY flight of the day yesterday, and had the same announcement. They also broke the steering on landing, so perhaps the announcement had the potential to be worthwhile.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
I've had a few of these announcements on LCY flights recently (both to and from LCY) - along the lines of "As a reminder, in the unlikely event of an emergency evacuation leave all personal belonging behind"
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by gingeola
I'm sure the cabin crew had good intentions on their mind, passengers stopping to collect hand luggage during evacuations is turning into a serious issue.
I would like to ask you to tell me that this is a joke. But, I guess that it won't be. ... No, it definitely isn't. http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...-crash-landing

It's a nightmare of mine that I'm in a crash, there's smoke from the spreading fire, and the aisle is blocked by people fetching their carryons from the overhead lockers.

EDIT: BA flight: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10493667.html

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; Aug 22, 2017 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by Jonathan2712
I was on the first DUB to LCY flight of the day yesterday, and had the same announcement. They also broke the steering on landing, so perhaps the announcement had the potential to be worthwhile.
sounds like I was on the next rotation so probably the same crew.

Yes the phrase 'crash landing' was definitely used, that's what grabbed my attention. Personally I didn't have an issue with it but people I work with I know would have been a bit freaked by it.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
I would like to ask you to tell me that this is a joke. But, I guess that it won't be. ... No, it definitely isn't. http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...-crash-landing

It's a nightmare of mine that I'm in a crash, there's smoke from the spreading fire, and the aisle is blocked by people fetching their carryons from the overhead lockers.

EDIT: BA flight: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10493667.html

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Wasn't taking belongings with you a problem reported on BA aborted landing in LAS when an engine exploded on take off roll? Thank god no injuries of much consequences were reported.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Wasn't taking belongings with you a problem reported on BA aborted landing in LAS when an engine exploded on take off roll? Thank god no injuries of much consequences were reported.
Also on that Emirates 777 in Dubai last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.