FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Sorry sir, we can't guarantee a well done steak"
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:17 am
Flexible preferences

Originally Posted by pineappleskip
This thread amazes me. Every airline steak I've ever eaten, on any airline, is either 'well done-stewed' or 'well done-nuked'. I would love to sample a rare steak (as they are meant to be) but never will as I now avoid the steak option.

Cheers skip
The difficulty with steaks is that the airlines prepare them by par-cooking them first ('sealing' them) then chilling them so on the outside they are brown and inside raw. When the crew cook the steak the crew simply put the dish into the oven for a period of time. I guess there are many problems associated with gauging how long to leave the steak in the oven for each particular customer - there may be over 50 CW customers for one galley, and the steak has arrived chilled (not warm as it would be if preparing a fillet steak this way at home). Not only that, but the steak will be reheated with other foods on the dish, for instance a potato option, and that will need a minimum amount of time to heat, which may mean that a rare steak is near impossible. Perhaps possible in F where more time and attention can be given to each particular passenger, but getting the timings right will take some skill and practice I think.