FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To upgrade what or not
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:45 pm
edy4eva

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Assuming you are on one ticket, upgrading any sector gets you the CW baggage allowance throughout.

As for which sector to upgrade, clearly a lot depends on the airport transfer time. AMM and JFK you can presumably discount lounge access by simply turning up relatively late in the process, so in my experience both airports would be ok for 75 minutes if you have checked bags. Personally I would see merit in focusing on JFK-LHR, being overnight it will make the rest of the trip more pleasant and get you Arrivals lounge access in T5 (as well as the airside lounges). Normally availability to and from JFK is quite good.

To answer your first question, any Club World BA flight connecting the same day allows lounge access in LHR. Note this is slightly wider than the oneworld policy. For the second question, I'm not entirely sure there is a through Redemption advantage there, but in broad terms, if there is through route availability on both legs then I think you should be recalculated on a total route basis rather than A plus B. It probably will have to go off for recalculation anyway.

Hopefully our Jordanian correspondent will be along soon, since he has a lot of experience in this area....
Thanks for the quick response. Yes single ticket.

I am not too fussed about the difference in mileage cost, if there's a hassle in doing so to save 1-3k avios then I won't bother. The biggest difference is the imposed carrier charges (they do add up substantially!).

I'll most likely upgrade the LHR-ME flights since the first sector is almost zeroed out, not expecting any award space to open up.