To upgrade what or not

Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

To upgrade what or not

Got a return JFK-LHR-AMM in WT+/WT

Tossing between either upgrading to CW:
1- LHR-AMM or
2- AMM-LHR

Not sure if by doing #2 (itinerary becomes CW connecting to WT+), will there be lounge access in LHR?

If doing either will CW luggage allowance apply?

Also, if say I go with #1 , then upgrade space opens up on the JFK-LHR, can I get the outbound upgraded for the lower rate (instead of being slugged with JFK-LHR + LHR-AMM)

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Assuming you are on one ticket, upgrading any sector gets you the CW baggage allowance throughout.

As for which sector to upgrade, clearly a lot depends on the airport transfer time. AMM and JFK you can presumably discount lounge access by simply turning up relatively late in the process, so in my experience both airports would be ok for 75 minutes if you have checked bags. Personally I would see merit in focusing on JFK-LHR, being overnight it will make the rest of the trip more pleasant and get you Arrivals lounge access in T5 (as well as the airside lounges). Normally availability to and from JFK is quite good.

To answer your first question, any Club World BA flight connecting the same day allows lounge access in LHR. Note this is slightly wider than the oneworld policy. For the second question, I'm not entirely sure there is a through Redemption advantage there, but in broad terms, if there is through route availability on both legs then I think you should be recalculated on a total route basis rather than A plus B. It probably will have to go off for recalculation anyway.

Hopefully our Jordanian correspondent will be along soon, since he has a lot of experience in this area....
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Assuming you are on one ticket, upgrading any sector gets you the CW baggage allowance throughout.

As for which sector to upgrade, clearly a lot depends on the airport transfer time. AMM and JFK you can presumably discount lounge access by simply turning up relatively late in the process, so in my experience both airports would be ok for 75 minutes if you have checked bags. Personally I would see merit in focusing on JFK-LHR, being overnight it will make the rest of the trip more pleasant and get you Arrivals lounge access in T5 (as well as the airside lounges). Normally availability to and from JFK is quite good.

To answer your first question, any Club World BA flight connecting the same day allows lounge access in LHR. Note this is slightly wider than the oneworld policy. For the second question, I'm not entirely sure there is a through Redemption advantage there, but in broad terms, if there is through route availability on both legs then I think you should be recalculated on a total route basis rather than A plus B. It probably will have to go off for recalculation anyway.

Hopefully our Jordanian correspondent will be along soon, since he has a lot of experience in this area....
Thanks for the quick response. Yes single ticket.

I am not too fussed about the difference in mileage cost, if there's a hassle in doing so to save 1-3k avios then I won't bother. The biggest difference is the imposed carrier charges (they do add up substantially!).

I'll most likely upgrade the LHR-ME flights since the first sector is almost zeroed out, not expecting any award space to open up.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Thanks for the quick response. Yes single ticket.

I am not too fussed about the difference in mileage cost, if there's a hassle in doing so to save 1-3k avios then I won't bother. The biggest difference is the imposed carrier charges (they do add up substantially!).

I'll most likely upgrade the LHR-ME flights since the first sector is almost zeroed out, not expecting any award space to open up.
I'm not sure I understand your question. From the first post it seems that you are considering upgrading either LHR-AMM or AMM-LHR but from this reply it seems that you also consider upgrading the JFK-LHR (and vice versa). Anyway, I'll try to offer some insights although not Jordanian (but roughly 50 miles from AMM ).

I don't know when you travel but BA usually operates the route on the ex-BMI A321, which has only WT and CW. This set up does offer the rather rare opportunity to upgrade from WT to CW however from my experience on the TLV route availability is scarce because of the small size of the cabin. That said, CW on that A321 is phenomenal.

I am not aware of the possibility to upgrade two legs at once (i.e. JFK-LHR then LHR-AMM) for a reduced amount of avios but maybe I missed something in the last couple of years of upgrading with avios quite intensively. From my experiences it is only possible to upgrade each sector independently but perhaps C-W-S could clarify that point.

To me it seems that the best option would be to upgrade the WT sector of the outbound (LHR-AMM) and the WT+ sector of the inbound (LHR-JFK).

Hope this helps in some way.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Interesting things happen..

I ended up booking BOS-LHR-BEY instead through BA website also in WT+/WT. This is for a family member on my household account.
Wasted almost an hour since yesterday with EC in the US and Germany trying to upgrade BEY-LHR.

The US agent initially claimed one can only use his/her own Avios to upgrade, and that the traveller must be contacted and verified to authorise the miles deduction from their accoount!!! He insisted these are new rules implemented for security purposes.

When I asked him to kindly show me this new term in their T&C dated 10 July 2017, put me on hold for 20 minutes before apologising and saying SINCE I used my credit card AND that the booking was done directly through BA website (not a TA), it is possible. However when he put me on hold the second time to transfer me, the call dropped.

This morning, the DE agent couldn't touch it and had to send a request to hq about it saying because BEY-LHR is 2-class the upgrade from Y to J is:
1- not guaranteed (and even may not be possible!!!!!) because these are married segments.
2- cannot be quoted!!!

I was promised a call back today and well none received so far.

I have done this btw in the past, 25k avios and about 20eur.

These 'rules' about upgrades seem rather strict, weird, and especially obscure and random given none of them are in the T&C. Just a word to others not to be put off from the first no...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Ok here's an update. I got a call from the DE centre, quoted the expected Avios but around double the taxes (they said the tax difference is for the whole journey!), and a $55 change fee was added as well.

I paid for the difference and all is done. Though I don't recall ever having to pay a change fee on upgrades?!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ok here's an update. I got a call from the DE centre, quoted the expected Avios but around double the taxes (they said the tax difference is for the whole journey!), and a $55 change fee was added as well.

I paid for the difference and all is done. Though I don't recall ever having to pay a change fee on upgrades?!
So did you book a cash ticket and upgrade with avios? If so there is no change fee to pay for a UuA.

If the underlying booking was a reward one, and you changed it to a higher cabin then this is a change rather than a UuA and a change fee of $55 per person is payable.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
So did you book a cash ticket and upgrade with avios? If so there is no change fee to pay for a UuA.

If the underlying booking was a reward one, and you changed it to a higher cabin then this is a change rather than a UuA and a change fee of $55 per person is payable.
This was a paid booking. The agent insisted on the $55 change fee!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This was a paid booking. The agent insisted on the $55 change fee!
The agent was wrong, there is no change fee for a UuA.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
The agent was wrong, there is no change fee for a UuA.
My thoughts exactly. I am calling them back...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Mistake acknowledged, change fee dropped.

All is good! Thanks KARFA for the prompt reply, that helped
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:26 am
Original Poster

I checked in online. This WTP/WT on the outbound. Under Manage My Booking it shows 2 bags 32kg. On the boarding passes got 2x 23kg.

I got screenshots for that. But am I in for an argument with the check in agent at the airport?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I checked in online. This WTP/WT on the outbound. Under Manage My Booking it shows 2 bags 32kg. On the boarding passes got 2x 23kg.
Do you have status with any oneworld airline?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Do you have status with any oneworld airline?
None.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

I just double checked the eticket receipt that BA emailed when processing the upgrade on the inbound and it does list 32kg for all sectors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.