FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who's Going to Watch the Eclipse?
View Single Post
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:53 am
an_asker

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
The High School I teach at is in the area of totality. It is in an eastern suburb of Nashville. I think we will be outside for some period leading up to and then after the total eclipse. I would rather have it off and sit on my deck in shorts having a cold eclipse martini instead of making sure 35 teenagers don't stare at it without their glasses. Many school systems in the Nashville Metropolitan area are closing for the day, but our system has decided (so far) to remain open. Should be an interesting day.
I am really worried about the children (and adults). Coincidentally, I was at the same age when we had a total solar eclipse in India in the 1980s as DD is today. And just like where we live right now, we didn't have totality close to us back then either. But I don't think she's as knowledgeable about the eclipse as I was back then. Had my parents decided to take a trip to a region of totality, I would have jumped at the opportunity. My kids and DW are like 'meh'!! :-(

Don't know how teachers can control the kids and make sure they don't look at the sun. We'll be having the partial eclipse through dismissal time (and before and after). Knowing that it would be innate curiosity to look at the sun with naked eyes (I might have too, back when I was kid, but for the fact that we had a good cloud cover where I was living at), I don't know how folks will handle it! It would have been really nice if our school system had closed for the day as well.