FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:39 pm
Dr. HFH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by clublounger
Flyertalk was founded in order to teach people HOW TO GAME THE SYSTEM.
You make an interesting point, one that I thought about for a bit before replying.

It all depends on one's use of vocabulary. At FT, we share information and learn how to make the rules work in our favor, how to optimize the result within the rules. I don't consider that "gaming" the system.

In addition to SHLTP's examples above, I would also add, for example, mistake fares. These are fares which the airline posted and at which it sold tickets. No gaming going on there.

But that's not what was going on here. Perhaps the most telling clue that the OP knew that what he did was improper is the way in which the OP dribbled the information out slowly and only when absolutely necessary, never really told us the whole story, then threw in a distraction (race card). troytos, if you didn't think that there was anything wrong with what you did, why the secretive behavior?

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Using snas for only half a stay because one can usually demand/ scream/ pull out royalty card is breaking w program rules - and hurts us all long term. The cost of business goes up and thus our benefits are diminished / or staff less likely to help/ be flexible on rules.
This.

Originally Posted by Finkface
I don't think that what we are seeing here is outrage over someone gaming the system.

I think the judgment comes from the way the OP originally presented his story - that he was outraged because he was forced to move out of his suite mid-stay (with no mention of the back-to-back res or the half-stay SNA), and how wronged he was and boo hoo, don't I deserve compensation for this horrible injustice meted out to poor me. And it is all because I am Asian that this big, bad, racist hotel did this. I demand COMPENSATION and I want heads to roll.

So no, I don't think it is judgment about someone walking that fine line a lot of members here walk to get the best flights, seats, room, whatever, that we can. I think it is the way the whole thing was presented as if he was totally innocent, did absolutely nothing to contribute to what happened and that he deserved some big service recovery because he is 'ROYALTY' and they screwed up when the reality is a lot different than originally presented. And the fact that he bullied his way into keeping that gamed suite that he was never entitled to by demanding and yelling and pulling out the royalty card.
And this.