FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - was told to switch the room since somebody want to stay in my room
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:50 pm
Canada101

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by troytos
That's what I'm trying to say. Instead of saying its ok. I can keep you in the same room and let me stay then the next morning told me that I have to move.
But why is this so difficult to understand? You booked a room for a specific timeframe. The hotel upgraded you to a junior suite (excellent Plat recognition). You extended your stay and asked to remain in your upgraded room. The associate at the front desk wanted to make it as easy as possible for you and looked in the day's rooming chart and saw that your room was not assigned to anyone so agreed. That is where the associate made a mistake.

No, it was not racism. It was a mistake which any associate could have made. Later in your stay, the property realized that the upgraded room you were occupying was booked by someone else (for what reason, we don't know nor should it matter). So the hotel ask/told you to move to another equivalent upgraded room albeit on a lower floor.

Should the hotel have asked you nicely? Yes.

Should the hotel have apologized for any inconvenience caused? Yes.

Should the hotel compensate you for said inconvenience? Only as a goodwill gesture but if you were making a pain of yourself and refusing to move, no.

It seems to me the property recognized your status by upgrading you to a room category you didn't pay for.

You extended your stay and requested to remain in the upgraded room category and the property agreed.

The associate erred by not moving you when you asked for the stay extension BUT perhaps no other junior suites were available on that day and the associate was merely trying to make things easier on YOU as much as on the property.

On the day this other guest was checking in and specifically requested and was promised the room you were occupying during your extension, the hotel asked/told you to move. If it were me, I'd have said sure, happy to do so. And, you know what? The associates would have probably sent up an amenity for the trouble or maybe thrown in some points. But judging by your original and subsequent posts, I'm not sure why the property would bother with anything, especially when you're happy to pull out the race card so readily.

Anyway, I think this thread has gone on longer than it should have. I personally believe both you and the property made some errors here but I don't believe that the property's error was so egregious that it warrants anything further than an expression of regret.