FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Long to Stay?
View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:13 am
callmedtop

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
For us, affordability is not really an issue, but time is. I have the attention span of a gnat.

We know from experience that 3 weeks is the longest overall trip we ordinarily can enjoy--as we always yearn for home (and not dining out) after that duration. We ordinarily prefer 2-3 week trips when there is significant jet lag involved--the more jet lag, the more likely we will stay longer to adjust.

I rarely stay more than 3-4 nights in any city. Our only exception has been Cape Town, my favorite city in the world, where we've spent 5-6 nights on multiple occasions. Despite loving fine dining, we only can do 2 or rarely 3 top end restaurants in a row before my husband needs a break. I can't survive a museum usually for more than a few hours, and I am not a theater buff, so other than luxury hotels, hotel bars, and fine dining, a city isn't my cup of tea.

I rarely stay more than 4-5 nights in any beach or rural destination resort. I'm not built to lay out for long periods of time; I need activity and things to explore to hold my interest. Unless there is scuba diving available or other architectural/small town/historic monument exploration to hold my interest, it's going to be a 2-3 night stay.

I often might schedule an extra day or two of doing nothing if it's a particularly rural or remote location where I feel I really can unplug. But it has to be a truly special or unique location for me to do that.

If we scuba dive, we can stay up to a week in a single resort destination. We need 12-24 hrs before and after flying to acclimate for diving, so that really only gives us 4-5 days of diving. We are considering a week on the FS Explorer in the Maldives and/or a week on Amandiran in Indonesia for just that reason.

We don't like switching hotels in any one destination, but then we're usually there for only 3-5 nights. Our upcoming Kyoto stay for May 2018 will be a first for us in that we will be in Kyoto for 7 nights and with 2 hotels (5 nights at Suiran and 2 nights at RC Kyoto). We're only considering that because there's so much to see in/around Kyoto/Nara and so much excellent dining...and in a truly rare moment for me, I'm supremely curious to try both hotels.
This x100 - couldn't have said it better myself!

We did 8 nights in the Maldives back in 2015 and it was just too long with not enough to do. A good lesson learned, and now we don't stay more than 3-4 nights at any given resort (non-city). We're doing 5 nights at Sveti Stefan in a couple of weeks and I'm curious to see if that is too long - I went back and forth between 4 and 5 nights for quite some time.

I can't agree more about 3 weeks being the max - anything more and for us the trip becomes more of a chore than an actual vacation. This upcoming trip has us in Amsterdam for 3 nights followed by 6 nights in Montenegro and 8 days in Portugal (albeit the Portugal trip is with friends and not with the fiancee). Even that seems a bit long to me.