FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommended length of time for mother to visit me in NZ?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:02 pm
kaitlyn2004

Originally Posted by wanna go now
I'm a 60 something woman, sounds like I'm in similar shape as your mother. I used buses and a few planes for a pleasant trip both North and South Island. 6 weeks, 15 hotels, I think. I had already been to Milford and Doubtful Sounds, so that wasn't included (add another week). This included a week tour to Abel Tasman (kayak, hike or use the shuttle boat between lodging), and a week in Dunedin. Most stops a minimum of 4 nights.

For shorter trips, just pick one or two bases and drive from there. You really can't go wrong with any base, there's loads to do everywhere. And with a base, you could go off on something more adventurous for a day or part of a day while your mom does something less strenuous.

Personally, I'd go for overnight on Milford and Doubtful Sounds, with a night in Te Anau between (check out Real Journeys), some time in Queenstown, and check out the glaciers. If you have more time, over to Christchurch on the train, and up to Kaikura for whale watching, swimming with the dolphins (your mom can be a passenger while you swim) and albatross tours. If Kaikura is recovered from the last earthquake. Even more time? Then up to Marlborough for the wine country and to Nelson for the Abel Tasman National Park. 5 day tours in the park including food and accommodations are available. Kayak, hike or take a shuttle boat between. I made it, so maybe your mom can, too. The hike was a bit more than I expected, though. Check carefully.

This, of course, is the South Island. On the North Island, I'd spend my time north of Auckland, up by Paia, the Coromandel Penninsula, and Rotorua if I had limited time.
I don't picture my mom kayaking or anything like that, unfortunately. Whale watching is something I'D love, but will have to check on her interest. I didn't make it to Kaikoura last time due to my itinerary/route and the earthquake. I did an overnight in Milford and think I'd love to do it again with her. I did Doubtful as well, though not sure we'd do both together and I think Milford is more "scenic" if you're only going to see one of them.

What sorts of non-"strenous" activities did you do? Because I didn't really do ANY of them on my own last time, not sure what's out there. Wine country is a nice idea. I only did a quick drive-through of Rotorua and don't recall coromandel, at least by name... Paia sounds familiar but I don't remember it either!