Recommended length of time for mother to visit me in NZ?

Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Recommended length of time for mother to visit me in NZ?

I haven't yet put too much thought into it and at least I've already been to NZ myself but I think my 60yr+ mother will be visiting me next time I am in NZ.

She wouldn't be capable of any of the "hikes" (walking something like hooker valley is probably max is my thinking) and is not really an adventure/daredevil type of thing

On my own I'm good to move around quickly and see a lot pretty fast, but not so with her. What would you guys recommend as a good length of time for a relaxing but valuable tour of NZ? I guess length would also indicate whether it's north+south or just one, and that's flexible too.

I'd almost certainly have my own car which we could use to get around, but flying/organized tours/daytrips is a possibility as well.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:32 pm

I'm a 60 something woman, sounds like I'm in similar shape as your mother. I used buses and a few planes for a pleasant trip both North and South Island. 6 weeks, 15 hotels, I think. I had already been to Milford and Doubtful Sounds, so that wasn't included (add another week). This included a week tour to Abel Tasman (kayak, hike or use the shuttle boat between lodging), and a week in Dunedin. Most stops a minimum of 4 nights.

For shorter trips, just pick one or two bases and drive from there. You really can't go wrong with any base, there's loads to do everywhere. And with a base, you could go off on something more adventurous for a day or part of a day while your mom does something less strenuous.

Personally, I'd go for overnight on Milford and Doubtful Sounds, with a night in Te Anau between (check out Real Journeys), some time in Queenstown, and check out the glaciers. If you have more time, over to Christchurch on the train, and up to Kaikura for whale watching, swimming with the dolphins (your mom can be a passenger while you swim) and albatross tours. If Kaikura is recovered from the last earthquake. Even more time? Then up to Marlborough for the wine country and to Nelson for the Abel Tasman National Park. 5 day tours in the park including food and accommodations are available. Kayak, hike or take a shuttle boat between. I made it, so maybe your mom can, too. The hike was a bit more than I expected, though. Check carefully.

This, of course, is the South Island. On the North Island, I'd spend my time north of Auckland, up by Paia, the Coromandel Penninsula, and Rotorua if I had limited time.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Part of the answer surely is how long mother can stay on her entry permit or visa. The limit could be thirty days or less, depending on her passport and other travel documents.

There could also be maximum stays for some discounted airfares.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanna go now
I'm a 60 something woman, sounds like I'm in similar shape as your mother. I used buses and a few planes for a pleasant trip both North and South Island. 6 weeks, 15 hotels, I think. I had already been to Milford and Doubtful Sounds, so that wasn't included (add another week). This included a week tour to Abel Tasman (kayak, hike or use the shuttle boat between lodging), and a week in Dunedin. Most stops a minimum of 4 nights.

For shorter trips, just pick one or two bases and drive from there. You really can't go wrong with any base, there's loads to do everywhere. And with a base, you could go off on something more adventurous for a day or part of a day while your mom does something less strenuous.

Personally, I'd go for overnight on Milford and Doubtful Sounds, with a night in Te Anau between (check out Real Journeys), some time in Queenstown, and check out the glaciers. If you have more time, over to Christchurch on the train, and up to Kaikura for whale watching, swimming with the dolphins (your mom can be a passenger while you swim) and albatross tours. If Kaikura is recovered from the last earthquake. Even more time? Then up to Marlborough for the wine country and to Nelson for the Abel Tasman National Park. 5 day tours in the park including food and accommodations are available. Kayak, hike or take a shuttle boat between. I made it, so maybe your mom can, too. The hike was a bit more than I expected, though. Check carefully.

This, of course, is the South Island. On the North Island, I'd spend my time north of Auckland, up by Paia, the Coromandel Penninsula, and Rotorua if I had limited time.
I don't picture my mom kayaking or anything like that, unfortunately. Whale watching is something I'D love, but will have to check on her interest. I didn't make it to Kaikoura last time due to my itinerary/route and the earthquake. I did an overnight in Milford and think I'd love to do it again with her. I did Doubtful as well, though not sure we'd do both together and I think Milford is more "scenic" if you're only going to see one of them.

What sorts of non-"strenous" activities did you do? Because I didn't really do ANY of them on my own last time, not sure what's out there. Wine country is a nice idea. I only did a quick drive-through of Rotorua and don't recall coromandel, at least by name... Paia sounds familiar but I don't remember it either!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Part of the answer surely is how long mother can stay on her entry permit or visa. The limit could be thirty days or less, depending on her passport and other travel documents.

There could also be maximum stays for some discounted airfares.
As canadians we have a visa waiver that allows up to 3 months
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004
I don't picture my mom kayaking or anything like that, unfortunately. Whale watching is something I'D love, but will have to check on her interest. I didn't make it to Kaikoura last time due to my itinerary/route and the earthquake. I did an overnight in Milford and think I'd love to do it again with her. I did Doubtful as well, though not sure we'd do both together and I think Milford is more "scenic" if you're only going to see one of them.

What sorts of non-"strenous" activities did you do? Because I didn't really do ANY of them on my own last time, not sure what's out there. Wine country is a nice idea. I only did a quick drive-through of Rotorua and don't recall coromandel, at least by name... Paia sounds familiar but I don't remember it either!
Argh. Had a great answer nearly done, and lost it. Let's see if I can remember it all.

My first piece of advice is that New Zealanders tend to under estimate difficulty and time for hikes. Any hills? No hills "to speak of" means there are some significant hills, but not mountains. Takes about 10 minutes to walk? Means about 30. This might only apply when translating to a sedentary person's walking.

In Abel Tasman, I was able to make the first hike (with no hills "to speak of", ha!) and a day kayaking trip between lodges. Used the boat shuttle to get back, though. They have options for every one, so research it if you think it would be fun.

I meant Paihia (Paia is in Hawaii...). On the Bay of Islands. Great base to explore up north. Boat trips out and lots of interesting things on land. The Waratangi Treaty Grounds are there for some history, too.

I tend to use boats for tours so I can see a lot and not have to walk too much. Ferry to Waiheki Island from Auckland, for example. Bus around the island.

My sister had some asthma issues in Rotorua and got a cart for the park tour. Carts are probably available for lots of places.

Christchurch has a lovely garden and a gondola. And punting on the Avon.
Queenstown has the gondola and the Earnshaw (boat). And all those mountains!
Helicopter tours of the glaciers. The hike isn't bad either. Shuttle from town, walk only as far as you want, shuttle back.
Night tour from Dunedin to see the blue penguins. A bit of a challenge with stairs, but you have plenty of time.
Napier wine country and art deco town.
Mount Manganui for a beach town.
The Coromandel Peninsula is east of Auckland. I didn't get there, but looks like an interesting area. Especially with a car.
Lake Taupo also looked interesting. I only had an hour there, changing buses, but I'd like to go back. Seems like it would be a good base, right in the middle of the North Island.

With a car, you can drive to view points and such, so less hiking. If you have bit more energy to use up, your mom can watch you do the more adventurous things. On a longer trip, it's always good to have some separate time. I always have a book (Kindle) with me so when I find an interesting place, I just sit and read. If I'm with more active people, they can go off while I relax, often with a glass of wine.

Where ever you go, you're sure to have a great time! Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.