FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA15 and dealing with jet lag
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:19 pm
bibbju

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Every year we do LHR-SIN-SYD-HBA and probably start ex-EU so it's quite a lot of flying in just over a day.

LHR-SIN I normally stay awake, have a couple of drinks and a light meal. SIN-SYD I don't eat and try to sleep until just before landing. Then transfer to Domestic and go to the QF lounge for coffee and OJ and a shower. Short flight to HBA and then go to our friends house 15 minutes from the airport.

Then we take our friends dogs for a long walk on the beach, have a light supper and then bed about 8PM.
I do pretty much the same minus the dog walking. I usually fly OSL-LHR-SIN-SYD-MEL in one go (with a positioning flight LHR-OSL the night before). I sleep/nap when I want but this tends to be on the SIN-SYD leg. Wine is definitely involved on the LHR-SIN leg. When I arrive in Melbourne, I stay active (don't stop moving as making the mistake of sitting down too long is a killer) until approx 8pm local time and then I pop 10mg of melatonin and go to bed. I usually wake up at 7am and am straight on Melbourne time and raring to go. It works exactly the same going back. The trick is definitely 10mg of melatonin (a smaller dose doesn't work the same magic).

The hardest thing I find with BA15 (plus my pre and post connecting flights) is that it seems like every meal on the flights is breakfast. I usually like an onboard breakfast but it starts to feel like eternal breakfast hell. I get over my jetlag much more quickly than I get over my ennui of breakfast.