FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waited in line to talk to "gate agent", turns out was just there to help a Non-Rev!!!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:28 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TBD
Imagine asking someone in Home Depot for help in lighting only to be told "I only work in paint." (without any other action/words).....I can imagine my response....
ive had pretty much that situation at Lowe's. and in a grocery store (probably several times. And Target. And multiple other places. Sometimes they'll page someone to come and help, sometimes the page won't yield a person , sometimes they won't and you're on your own to find someone else.

That said, I've walked up when a UA person is at a podium to be told they're not working a flight, though every time I can remember it's been pretty well before a flight and there's no one waiting so it's not a big deal. I'd probably assume the same in a situation as described by the OP. Perhaps there is a better solution - using a rope to block off the area in front of the desk when an agent isn't working the flight, or the grocery store 'light' system - where there is a light above the desk to indicate that line is 'open'.