Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Waited in line to talk to "gate agent", turns out was just there to help a Non-Rev!!!

Waited in line to talk to "gate agent", turns out was just there to help a Non-Rev!!!

Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Miles

So, waiting on a 3 hour delay right now at LAX. Waiting for line to talk to gate agent , four others in line behind me come and go.

From 9:50am to 10:35 agent is working a single Pax, who based on the conversation and banter is clealy a nonEmployee nonRev, trying to pull schenanigans. They are discussing pass riding back then, how hard it is to ride now, how the nonRev site is messed up, etc.

At 10:35 he walks her across hall to opposite gate and hangs there 15 minutes while rest of us stare agog. When he finally waLks back, he doesn't acknowledge line so I finally walk up, to be told:

"Oh, I'm not working this gate".

"Thanks schmuck!" --- I say (in my head only).

Sigh
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You know what happens when you assume...
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Wait...so you waited in line for someone to help you who wasn't actually in any position to help you?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:35 pm
glg

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Wait...so you waited in line for someone to help you who wasn't actually in any position to help you?
Much worse is that said someone ignored the line that was building instead of immediately telling people "sorry, can't help you, please go to <CS, other gate, whatever> for assistance"
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Miles
There was no clue they were not there working the line, as the flight had been / is delayed three times, and he had been in place there when I walked up.

If I'm an agent in uniform, behind a podium at an active gate, where a queue has formed, how are you not presenting yourself as someone who is there to serve the queue forming in front of you?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by dcbarry
So, waiting on a 3 hour delay right now at LAX. Waiting for line to talk to gate agent , four others in line behind me come and go.

From 9:50am to 10:35 agent is working a single Pax, who based on the conversation and banter is clealy a nonEmployee nonRev, trying to pull schenanigans. They are discussing pass riding back then, how hard it is to ride now, how the nonRev site is messed up, etc.

At 10:35 he walks her across hall to opposite gate and hangs there 15 minutes while rest of us stare agog. When he finally waLks back, he doesn't acknowledge line so I finally walk up, to be told:

"Oh, I'm not working this gate".

"Thanks schmuck!" --- I say (in my head only).

Sigh
Based on your post, I would think it's safe to say that you're assuming they're trying to pull shenanigans unless there's something you left out. Can't people just have a friendly conversation?

Honestly I can understand why you're upset. However, sometimes the GA's go to do other administrative tasks (I'm not a UA employee, I don't know the details other than that) and that they honestly don't work that flight. Sometimes they're just looking for an open computer. It's not as easy as you think it is, employees can't just work ANY flight, there are dedicated flights/gates that they're responsible for.

As easy as you think it would be for any UA employee to help you out because they're a UA employee, there are such things as work assignments.

That being said, why weren't you on the phone at the same time? Calling UA from the phone would be my advice.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:29 pm
glg

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Honestly I can understand why you're upset. However, sometimes the GA's go to do other administrative tasks (I'm not a UA employee, I don't know the details other than that) and that they honestly don't work that flight. Sometimes they're just looking for an open computer. It's not as easy as you think it is, employees can't just work ANY flight, there are dedicated flights/gates that they're responsible for.

As easy as you think it would be for any UA employee to help you out because they're a UA employee, there are such things as work assignments
And that's all fine and good as long as said employee stops a line from forming by *telling* people that s/he isn't working that gate/flight and directs them elsewhere. Allowing a line to form and then walking off with "I'm not working here" is bad customer service.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:42 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by glg
And that's all fine and good as long as said employee stops a line from forming by *telling* people that s/he isn't working that gate/flight and directs them elsewhere. Allowing a line to form and then walking off with "I'm not working here" is bad customer service.

/agreed. It's been years since they took away our "position closed" signs (which were not effective at deterring lines anyway.). I come in to work a bit early, I like to pre-plan my flights and don't mind doing so with a cup of coffee. Often the only free computers are behind unused podiums. An agent in uniform is a magnet for passers by who see a line at their gate and would rather approach the nearest agent with no line. I feel bad turning people away, as I'd likely do the same thing they're doing if I were in their shoes. No e wants to hear "I'm not open, just using the computer for XXX, but it happens.

As a generic rule of thumb, about an hour before a domestic narrow-body departure at a gate, it'll be staffed. A little more for a widebody and maybe 90 min for an intl widebody with an RJ somewhere just under an hour. There are no signs (at least at my airport) to designate closed, and even when there were, the lines would form anyway.

Its tough to interrupt whatever you're using the computer for every 30 seconds to explain that you are doing something else and are not open, but it's common courtesy to do so. /badformagent
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Sorry, if a uniformed employee is having a conversation behind a PODIUM at a gate it's fair to ASSUME they are helping customers. If they are not and only chatting with a friend/fellow employee, or what have you, then do it away from the podium.

You can't fault the OP. I would have assumed the same (as did the people in front of him.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
The employee should have told the customers to move on. That said, it is amazing how strong the magnetic pull is of someone in uniform behind a podium. There's nowhere to hide.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
You waited an hour?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
If this is the first time this has happened to you at UA, or any other service encounter, you are one LUCKY man.

it's no excuse for a sub-par experience, but if this merits a singular post at FT, things aren't all that bad.

Happy trails
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:49 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
OP, what was the "shenanigan" conspiracy they were planning? Details please. Hopefully nothing as shady as trying to book a prohibited speculative booking far out and changing it to what you want to avoid paying the required $300 close in booking fees on (4) tickets.

Last edited by fastair; Jul 22, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:02 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Imagine asking someone in Home Depot for help in lighting only to be told "I only work in paint." (without any other action/words).....

I can imagine my response....
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TBD
Imagine asking someone in Home Depot for help in lighting only to be told "I only work in paint." (without any other action/words).....I can imagine my response....
ive had pretty much that situation at Lowe's. and in a grocery store (probably several times. And Target. And multiple other places. Sometimes they'll page someone to come and help, sometimes the page won't yield a person , sometimes they won't and you're on your own to find someone else.

That said, I've walked up when a UA person is at a podium to be told they're not working a flight, though every time I can remember it's been pretty well before a flight and there's no one waiting so it's not a big deal. I'd probably assume the same in a situation as described by the OP. Perhaps there is a better solution - using a rope to block off the area in front of the desk when an agent isn't working the flight, or the grocery store 'light' system - where there is a light above the desk to indicate that line is 'open'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.