FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waited in line to talk to "gate agent", turns out was just there to help a Non-Rev!!!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:42 pm
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by glg
And that's all fine and good as long as said employee stops a line from forming by *telling* people that s/he isn't working that gate/flight and directs them elsewhere. Allowing a line to form and then walking off with "I'm not working here" is bad customer service.

/agreed. It's been years since they took away our "position closed" signs (which were not effective at deterring lines anyway.). I come in to work a bit early, I like to pre-plan my flights and don't mind doing so with a cup of coffee. Often the only free computers are behind unused podiums. An agent in uniform is a magnet for passers by who see a line at their gate and would rather approach the nearest agent with no line. I feel bad turning people away, as I'd likely do the same thing they're doing if I were in their shoes. No e wants to hear "I'm not open, just using the computer for XXX, but it happens.

As a generic rule of thumb, about an hour before a domestic narrow-body departure at a gate, it'll be staffed. A little more for a widebody and maybe 90 min for an intl widebody with an RJ somewhere just under an hour. There are no signs (at least at my airport) to designate closed, and even when there were, the lines would form anyway.

Its tough to interrupt whatever you're using the computer for every 30 seconds to explain that you are doing something else and are not open, but it's common courtesy to do so. /badformagent